Scorpion mech suit WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Scorpion mech suit WIP

Here's another design for a mech-suit. This particular one is designed based on a scorpion. It can shoot plasma beams out of its palms and use its tail to spear and ram through any obstacle. The long and tank-armored like body is perfect for transporting supplies and weapons and with 8 legs can get through any terrain. Haven't added a background yet, let me know what you guys think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALuevanos_scorpion-suit-WIP.jpg (52.2 KB, 75 views)

02 February 2013
Is this meant to be concept art or illustration? Is there supposed to be a narrative (you mentioned you'll add a background), and if so, what is the premise? Designs have to serve the story, and without knowing the narrative and premise or how the subject relates to them, it's hard to assess if your design/illustration really works.

02 February 2013
Initially it started as a concept design, but I suddenly had an idea for a background. So in the end I think it will be an illustration. So here's the premise, alien forces have come to threaten the planet and modern weaponry are no match for this stronger, agile, and technologically superior enemy. So an elite branch of the military has created robotic suits with earthly animal characteristics. These new weapons were made to confuse the enemy because they move like creatures unknown to their world. Plus they're loaded with new advanced weaponry developed during the attacks made on earth. That's about all I got.

02 February 2013
Well, it's good that you have some sort of premise. Now before you go any further, think more about this specific moment you're depicting in the image. What is actually happening, and why should your audience care? Pick a moment in the narrative that has drama and entertainment, so the audience will think it is compelling. A subject slapped onto an arbitrary background is never as interesting as a well-thought out visual narrative that can excite or move the audience.

Remember that once you start to care about a premise and narrative, you're no longer just making a pretty picture--you're now taking on the role of a visual storyteller, and storytellers have to tell stories that the audience gives a damn about.

02 February 2013
Lunatique thanks for the critique, after considerable hours sketching and finally putting pen on tablet here is the background I had in mind. I actually went pretty far into it without posting any roughs, I just got too into this idea.

It shows the mech soldier trekking through the desert on patrol. Behind him is the main operating base which is imbedded into the mountain. Since the Mech is designed after a scorpion, I wanted to show an environment where the Mech would be most effective in. I'm pretty much finished with the background directly behind the soldier, I just need to flesh out the Base and integrate the soldier with the background (I just cut and paste the soldier to show where he would be in the piece).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg scorpion-suit-illust.jpg (92.3 KB, 61 views)

03 March 2013
Definitely more interesting than before, since now we have a premise, which makes this image more involving.

Since you're still working on it, I'm not going to say much about the lighting, but you need check your cast shadow. If you don't know how to calculate accurate cast shadows, you should buy Andrew Loomis's book, "Successful Drawing." It contains detailed instructions on it, and is one of the best books ever published on art instruction (along with his other books):
http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Dr...ag=613240924-20

You'll have some work to do on the lighting for the whole image, and I since I don't know what areas you consider finished, I'll wait before commenting on that.

04 April 2013
scorpion suit illustration
scorpion suit illustration 2
scorpion suit illustration 3

I haven't updated my progress in a while, haven't devoted much time to this painting, maybe 2-3 hours a week. I tried getting the lighting right for this desert scene, because everything is so bright I tried working with a lot of reflective lighting, I think it looks alright so far. I'm still working on the bot and his shadows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scorpion-suit-illust-2.jpg (74.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg scorpion-suit-illust-3.jpg (75.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg scorpion-suit-illust-4.jpg (78.1 KB, 13 views)

04 April 2013
You've got a bit of a problem with tangents where the left arm meet the cliff. You need to separate them so we see a space between them, or extend the cliff so it reaches beyond the arm's contour. The readability of the head/shoulder's contour is low too--you need to separate that area from the background with value/color, contrast, or level of detail.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread