Aladoria - Matte Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Aladoria - Matte Painting

Hello again. So this recent matte of mine was declined from the 2D gallery. I used to see mattes all the time in the gallery, photo composite ones. Do they not except matte paintings anymore?
Here is the description...

"Well I think it's kind of a standard to have at least one future city matte painting in your portfolio. It's like the Wilhelm scream of digital artists lol. So this is my concept, the city of Aladoria. I wanted to do a more real and reasonable future city, not one that's too over designed and extreme. Something that looks like it can be from our near future. All done in Photoshop. It's some photo composite, like most mattes, with a lot of detail painting. Let me know what you think, Thanks guys!"

I don't have many mattes in my portfolio and I am really happy how this turned out, it was really fun to do. Anyways I thought to share it here and see what you guys think!

Here is a link to the high res version

02 February 2013
I think it's because when you do a futuristic cityscape, it is expected that your architectural design skills are good enough to design interesting and credible looking buildings that real high-profile and award-winning architects would actually get hired by corporations and governments to design. If you didn't study architecture, then you need to be able to fake it well enough so it looks like you did. And that's the main problem with your matte--the buildings don't look like they are designed by knowledgeable and talented architects--they look very vanilla and boring, even when compared today's modern architecture around the world in big cities.

Keep in mind that when you venture beyond just illustrating stuff and into the realm of concept design, your ability to draw and paint becomes only half of the equation--the other half is your ability to design, and unless you put in serious amount of time studying as a concept designer, you're not going to do any credible designs that will impress people--especially a crowd that is used to seeing excellent concept designs all the time from film and games and architectural viz.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread