Amazona 2d

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Amazona 2d

Hello. I Chingelart, traditional artist. In recent years I am dabbling in digital art, post a job and was rejected.
Your submission has been Declined for the Following Reason (s):
* Your image currently does not meet the overall quality level of the Showcase Gallery. There Could be a number of different Reasons, but generally, images are rejected due to artistic or technical problems. We Can Provide you with a detailed critique, since We have Hundreds of submissions to the Showcase Gallery to sort through.

I agree that judges are strict, this will help me improve my work and raise my level
Please .... can someone help me with constructive criticism, I would greatly appreciate

Here's links to the image:

Link

01 January 2013
Smile

Personally, I think it's a very beautiful painting. I especially liked watching the video. Love those things!

As for improvements, the background is the weakest part. The character is very nice. I especially like the hands as well as the lighting. Even the castle is really cool. However, everything in between the character and the castle is a vague collection of colours. I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing. Sometimes a background works well as just a blurred colour. Photographs have a background like that quite often. However, if that is the effect that you're trying to capture, then the castle should be a blur also. Since the castle and the character are both nicely detailed, it makes the middle look very weak. If you're wanting something that doesn't pull attention away from these two subjects, I'd recommend either a hilly, plains type of countryside in much the same colours, or else a more forested background in darker earthy greens, leaving a break through the trees to show the castle. Perhaps a combination of both.

Hope that helps. ^_^

~D~

02 February 2013
The main issues I see in the painting are:

-We have no idea what the image is trying to express or convey. What is that character doing? What is she feeling? What is the narrative here? And more importantly, why should the audience care? As a visual storyteller, you have to tell a visual story that is compelling for the audience to care about--to make them feel and think and be entertained. What you have is a vague facial expression that we can't identify and a gestures that is equally vague. And what is that red liquid--is it supposed to be blood? If so, why doesn't it have any specular highlights that liquids are supposed to have? We have no idea what the point of the image is, because the main elements in it are all so vague and seemingly without purpose.

-The composition has problems. The image is cutoff right at the edge of her head, and her hand is right at the left edge of the image, creating arbitrary tension that does nothing for the visual narrative. It is also aesthetically not effective. You need to learn some basic composition lessons like rule-of-thirds and golden ratio, and then think about how you can apply them to your work, and how you can go beyond those guidelines and do something original yet still artistically sound.

-The anatomy/figure isn't totally convincing. The way she holds that rod is odd--she's not gripping it convincingly, with the angle of the fingers not aligning with the actual length of the rod. Her left breast is rendered without any highlight, as if it has no volume. Her right shoulder doesn't look correct. Pose in front of the mirror (or have someone pose for you) and analyze how the shoulder really looks in that pose, under that lighting condition. The face almost looks like it's from a 3D model such as the ones from Poser. They look like soulless mannequins, and if you rely on them indiscriminately, your subjects will also look like soulless mannequins. Get real people to pose/emote so you can have quality references that actually have real life and emotions.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread