Developing artist, need critique/tips.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Developing artist, need critique/tips.

Hello! I've been really into drawing again (after a little break). And I have this burning passion to become a concept artist. I want this more than I even know. So I've been drawing everyday, trying to learn as much as I can. I used to only do line art, but I've recently started learning how to paint/values ect.

I had no luck on other forums, so I'm hoping here I will actually get replies and helpful advice to help me learn more and advance my skills. So I'm going to post my art, and hopefully you decide to critique the heck out of my drawings. I want to learn as much as I can, so point out every flaw you see. I know there are a lot, but I'm still learning so DO NOT GO EASY ON ME.

Thank yo :3.

These are my 2 most recent drawings, one is just a character concept costume designs blah, and the other one is my FIRST ever attempt at painted scenery. That's the one I'm hoping will get a lot of critique.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
I just posted a reply to another person who also is interested in concept art, and you might want to read it: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...958#post7509958

When designing as a concept artist, it's not just about making something look cool as eye-candy--it also has to look logical and sensible for the premise of the narrative. If you are designing armor or uniform or clothing for a female warrior of any type, you need to think about what is practical and why a female fighter would need to wear anything that is hyper-sexualized and without any practical purpose. Frivolous design is not what good concept artists create. Use your logical mind and consider all aspects of what the design is for. Consider the premise, the narrative, the logistical requirements, practicality, etc.

As for the landscape--it looks like you're not using proper references. Only the most advanced artists out there would have developed a massive visual memory bank that's necessary to work out of their heads convincingly. If you are not an advanced artist, you must use references, or else your work will always look amateurish.

And finally, work on your visual art foundations. It is the most important thing all visual artists must do, regardless of style, medium, industry, or job. Read the sticky threads in the Art T&T forum (linked below) for the excellent learning resources they contain.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread