CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Send a message via MSN to Azawindam
Character Illustration II WIP

This is my second piece that I'd like to post on this forum. My concept is to shine my devil character in a holy light. I'm not too sure whether I'd like to add god rays because it seems a bit clich'e. But so far, I love the grungy, rough look of him in relation to the background.

Backstory:

Devi (the one in the picture) is half-human half-demon. His father was the guardian of the Underworld whereas his mother is a human. One day in France, Satan was attracted to the beauty and innocence of the nun, and impregnated her. When she gave birth to a baby, the mother nun was shocked to see her baby who has dark-red skin with horns on his head. Feeling guilty of herself, the nun decided to go to the river to drown the baby. While she was hesitating, the father Satan rose from the river and told her not to fear him or their child. When Satan saw kindness and serenity in his son's eyes, he told her to give all the love to the child named Devi so that she becomes stronger; when he grows up he will be her strength and her guidance. As the mother took care of the devil, she eventually learns that her son was not as evil as she would've thought, despite how the people around her avoided the devil and the mother. Years later, all grown-up, Devi took care of his mother and migrate to a different place where the community would accept him and his mother.

I hope you guys enjoy watching the process, and I appreciate if you drop in constructive comments and critiques!

Last edited by Azawindam : 01-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Second Iteration

This next iteration starts to clarify the form and shape. I'll be flipping back and forth to make sure that the proportions are consistent.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

3rd Iteration

I played around more with values so that his form contrasts to the light.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Adjustments to muscle proportions and lighting. Stronger contrast and more clarification with the reflected light.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Smile

Allrighty, this is my final iteration because I think that is as far as I can go before the painting looks more stiff. I kinda like the movement the brush strokes present, especially how the subject is meant to be still.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #6
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

If this is meant to be a finished painting, I think you can tighten it up a bit more. There's no reason to have vague edges on important areas that need to read clearly, such as his nose. The contour of his lips can be better defined too. There are a variety of different edge types (sharp, firm, soft, and lost), and you need to understand why you are obscuring edges and why you are making them clear. Contours silhouettes usually need to read clearly, especially when they're mostly back-lit.

His deltoid muscle looks too long and isn't positioned properly (the bottom tip should connect to the bicep), and his elbow is positioned a bit too low. His mid-torso also seems a bit long.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
NikLG
Freestyler

portfolio
Nik Love-Gittins
Freelance artist
Anywhere
United Kingdom

Anatomical inconsistencies to one side, your lighting seems all over the place.
It looks like the light source is coming in from the top left, yet there are highlights on what should be the front of his body, and just on one side at that, which makes him look like he is made up of distinct chunks, rather than a whole. You need to break it down into planes and get the lighting / shade sorted from that before refining it.
It's all a bit mono-tone as well, though maybe that's the idea, in which case why are the horns a different colour ? The horns probably need a bit more definition as well so they sit in place. Currently they look a bit 'floaty'.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
If this is meant to be a finished painting, I think you can tighten it up a bit more. There's no reason to have vague edges on important areas that need to read clearly, such as his nose. The contour of his lips can be better defined too. There are a variety of different edge types (sharp, firm, soft, and lost), and you need to understand why you are obscuring edges and why you are making them clear. Contours silhouettes usually need to read clearly, especially when they're mostly back-lit.

His deltoid muscle looks too long and isn't positioned properly (the bottom tip should connect to the bicep), and his elbow is positioned a bit too low. His mid-torso also seems a bit long.

Thank you for the critique, Lunatique. I'll try to re-visit my work if I have the time. I'll definitely need to find some references for this kind of lighting.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikLG
Anatomical inconsistencies to one side, your lighting seems all over the place.
It looks like the light source is coming in from the top left, yet there are highlights on what should be the front of his body, and just on one side at that, which makes him look like he is made up of distinct chunks, rather than a whole. You need to break it down into planes and get the lighting / shade sorted from that before refining it.
It's all a bit mono-tone as well, though maybe that's the idea, in which case why are the horns a different colour ? The horns probably need a bit more definition as well so they sit in place. Currently they look a bit 'floaty'.

Thank you for your critique, NikLG. Now that I've noticed the flaws in my work, I'll see what I can do to re-adjust it.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread