CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Steph-A
Steph-A
portfolio
Stephane Arson
Graphic Designer
France

Travel to mountain city - need comments

Hi, i am looking for a fresh look on this illustration. I used a reference for the sky and some textures on the left side of the mountains as well as the peak lit. Something is wrong and illustration was refused in Gallery. Perhaps the effects of distance or contrast with the sky. Pose of the character too rigid? Composition?

Comments would be welcome. thanks a lot.

Stephane

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
BillyWJ
Frequenter
portfolio
William White
www.FusedArts.com
Katonah, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph-A
Hi, i am looking for a fresh look on this illustration. I used a reference for the sky and some textures on the left side of the mountains as well as the peak lit. Something is wrong and illustration was refused in Gallery. Perhaps the effects of distance or contrast with the sky. Pose of the character too rigid? Composition?

Comments would be welcome. thanks a lot.

Stephane

Beautiful colors!

But...the painting seems like it's cut in half - the eye goes from the left...and stops dead midway. It's subtle, but i think I can see what's going on - the perspective on the mountains on the left side are correct, we're looking up at them, but midway, the perspective changes, and it looks like were looking almost down on them. The values are also darker than on the left, so the planes of space are jumbled - the mountains on the right look like they're closer (color-wise) than the left, and the eye is confused. The painting of the mountains on the right are beautiful, but it looks like a montage of two separate scenes.

So, lighten up the values of the mountains on the right, fix the perspective, and I think you'll have a very attractive piece! The city could use some love, too, I didn't even notice it until I really looked.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Steph-A
Steph-A
portfolio
Stephane Arson
Graphic Designer
France

Thanks Billy for your feedback, you're right. I think I adjusted the contrast of the mountains with the sky, which was clearly a mistake.
Here is a new version may not be final. I reworked the perspective and lightens the colors. The city is now more visible. I made some other minor adjustments.
The colors of the sky contrast may be a bit too much with mountains.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

To me, the middle-ground still looks a bit too faint in contrast.

It's important to understand what actually causes atmospheric perspective. It isn't something that automatically happens--it depends on the weather condition as well as the air condition.

Atmospheric perspective is essentially particles in the air that obstructs the view--fog, mist, dust, etc. The more of these particles are in the air, the more the view will be obstructed. This is also why things that are furthest away will be the most obstructed, because there will be much more particles between your eyes and the objects really far away.

So considering that logic, you'll be able to estimate how much atmospheric perspective to use for various distances. If something is twice as far away, then it's logical to assume the obstruction will be twice as much, which means the contrast and colors will be twice as low, due to the doubling of all the particles in the air.

But air condition and weather can skew that, because there are times when the air is remarkably clear, and you could see very far away with great clarity.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread