what do you think of this ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
what do you think of this ?

hi guys i need your critiques about my work ..my week points and is this good enough to get a job in the field of concept art ... knowing that i work in a non related field and i'm self tough.how should i start ?

http://ateilab247.cghub.com/images/

www.ateilab.daportfolio.com

Old 12 December 2012   #2
I'm a beginner so take with a grain of salt.

I see a lack of contrast. No subject or area standing out. In the same way there is no focal point on any of the images. Which makes it hard to have a composition since everything has same value, texture, density...

Your lighting is always diffuse on all images. Lack of hard shadows or strong directional light (like sun).

You have eyeballed the perspective. I mainly notice this on the "sky temple" but "oasis" has some subtle perspective problems as well.

If I wanted to land a concept job I will try to have chunks of art pieces of the same fantasy world. A single art piece cant define a world.

About your question... it all depends on how fast you draw them. I guess.

Again I'm a beginner and I wish I could paint as you do so...keep it up

Old 12 December 2012   #3
thanks

very useful thanks ...i'll try working on the sharp shadows thing. it's takes me about 8 to 12 hours to paint any of my painting ... after that i get very bored .

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Work on your foundational studies. Right now, you are mimicking a lot of the surface flourishes you see in professional concept artists' work, but you are putting the cart before the horse. The cosmetic surface is meaningless without a strong foundation. You need to work on your ability to depict shapes, form and volume accurately, as well as fine-tune the balance of detail vs. usable visual information.

Also, your job as a concept artist is first and foremost, to design. Drawing and painting is merely the tools you use to present your designs. Your main focus, is always designing first. So focus on that. Think like a designer, and solve design problems like form vs. function. Learn to think in a similar manner as the designers who design things that people actually use in real life--appliances, vehicles, weapons, buildings, clothing, etc. Think about their purpose and how the designs achieve the intended purpose in a manner that is logical and efficient, while still having strong visual flair.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread