The Grower

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
The Grower

So this is an image I decided to start painting because of the lack of goodness coming from my daily sketches. The original premise was suppose to be a man who had merged with a tree and has been stuck there for an unknown amount of time, but since then it has evolved into more of a healer or support character.

I would love any and all critiques, the tougher the better.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Work on your foundational studies, as that's the only thing that will help you improve as an artist. Everything else you do that's not related to your foundational studies will be far less effective in helping your grow and develop as an artist. Study composition, perspective, lighting/values, color theory, anatomy/figure, and so on.

What you have here, lacks forethought and a cohesive sense of overall design in the visual composition--it's the same thing that every beginner artist does--to stick the subject smack in the middle of the image and without interesting counterbalancing elements in the composition.

The anatomy and figure lacks credibility, and the way the forms are depicted lack accuracy in their rate of turn, sense of volume, and spatial positioning.

There are other problems too, but I think you have an idea of what you need to do. Start working on the essential foundations, because until you master them to a higher level, everything you draw or paint will contain a ton of mistakes and weak artistic sensibility that you can't troubleshoot on your own and must rely on more experienced artists to point them out to you.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your post! Growing as an artist definitely has to be one of the most troubling experiences because it takes lots of time and a billion mistakes and honest critiques.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread