Nighttime View From Rooftop/Balcony

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Nighttime View From Rooftop/Balcony

Hey guys!
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!

This is the first time posting anything here. Decided I might try be more active
I did a few weeks ago and it is so far my best work and so I guess it'd be appropriate to improve from my best.

So here it is.

I'm looking for criticism on everything! Be relentless
Thanks guyos

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Stop the chicken scratch, all i see are scratchy lines on planes that should be smooth.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
oo ok!
I thought it worked as a style thing but I guess not Haha!
Hmm. A reason I went to doing that was because a smooth plane looked boring as far as what I have there right now. So I guess to fix that I'd be looking at adding more... details?
Are there any fundamentals I can study to have this come more naturally?
Thanks!

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Hello,
I think that you should keep experimenting with different drawing styles and techniques to see what fits you better, but this would be easier if you had some more knowledge about light, color, composition and so.
Your composition is a little bit plain, maybe a different point of view would be more interesting. And the perspective is confusing and forced. The whole picture looks like unfinished due to the scratch lines, maybe adding some detail and soften some edges and surfaces could work better.
You can use photo reference for the characters to be more correct on the anatomy. Generally, using photo reference helps a lot for whatever you may need.

I recommend you to read some of the books of Andrew Loomis like 'Successful Drawing' or 'Creative Illustration'. Personally, I learned a lot thanks to these books.
Hope this helps!

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Wow. You've given me a lot to think about! Thank you very much! I can't express how great you guys are!
I considered going over it, but I guess, as you've said, the composition and perspective is all off so I guess there is no point in that
Thanks again!

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Always look for the big shapes first.

Old 12 December 2012   #7
ok.
Do you reckon you could elaborate? I guess, all the buildings started primarily as cubes...?

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Yes exactly. When you can describe something with one big brush stroke, do it instead of using many small ones. Watch for big planes describe them and then go into details. As I am saying this to you I am telling myself too . It takes practice to make good habit of it, but is pays of.

Old 01 January 2013   #9
There are many other ways of making a smooth, flat surface look less sterile, and chicken scratches isn't the only way.

What you're doing, is essentially hatching, and when hatching is done right, it can look very beautiful. Just look at drawings by Bernie Wrightson and you'll see what a master can do with hatching lines. Look at how he hatches his lines and how messy yours are. You didn't give any thought to how the forms should be rendered by hatching, what direction should you hatch according to the form and the lighting, or any other considerations.

Typically, painting uses textures instead of a bunch of hatching to convey surface property, lighting, form, and so on. So think about how you can use textures instead of a bunch of homogenized scratches. There's also brushwork. Study how master painters deploy different brushwork in their paintings. Look up artists like John Singer Sargent, Craig Mullins, Richard Schmid, Pino, Jaime Jones, etc.

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread