Nosferatu - portrait

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Nosferatu - portrait

Hello there.

After some time away from 2D works, I'm practising digital painting again, and decided to rescue an old piece that was a cartoonish rendition of Nosferatu. The idea is not be a total recreation of the 1922 movie, but obviously heavily inspired upon it.

After some work on it, I'm starting to feel relatively stuck on how to proceed. I'm aware that the hands, cork and chin need some more work, but if anybody can provide some more C&C, it would be great. I want to have more detail on his face, because it's a focal point, and progressively less detail as we move away from the center.

The point in this image is to create a realistic approach to rendering materials and lighting, although with a stylized human form. Nosferatu is shown as if posing for a portrait, almost asking us to try is special wine. The pose is theatrical mainly because I sketched that way and liked it, on hindsight because it's based a character from the silent movie's era, where body and facial expression were the main ways to portray emotion, hence used exagerated poses. The lighting setup is based on the classical three-point lighting, for two reasons: it's effective for poses (imho) and it blends well with the idea.

Cheers!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_13b.jpg (54.6 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by lbelerique : 12 December 2012 at 10:58 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Started reworking the left hand, using my own as reference. Also, redone the teeth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_15.jpg (64.8 KB, 137 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Some more work done on the left hand and cork, and some tweaks on his head. Also removed one tooth, because it was too similar in shape and size to another, which wasn't at all interesting.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_16.jpg (61.1 KB, 128 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #4
CHanged the mouth again according to some feedback, before it looked weird, almost all busted up from a fight, it feels better now, but I have to work it a bit more. What do you think?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_18.jpg (54.3 KB, 117 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #5
A small update, mainly work on the head. I'm starting to feel that from now on this work will not improve that much, and I like the painterly feel it has now
As usual, C&C welcome.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_21.jpg (62.5 KB, 103 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #6
cool styled character. Love nosferatu and what you did with him

Old 12 December 2012   #7
Nice picture! :-)
One thing I notice is that the bottle and the fluid needs some more work. The bottle seems to not having glass on the far side. The fluids surface should be more visible since the perspective stationary point is high (or did I misinterpret it?). Some semi-transparency and light scattering in the fluid should also be nice. Google up some references on it :-)

Old 12 December 2012   #8
Thanks a lot for your replies, Scote and receptor

receptor, yeah, you're right, the bottle needs more work, after all it's a focal point. The liquid is blood, which can be thick, and I suppose the transparency and light scattering wouldn't be very visible, although I'm not certain... the best way would be to see a jar with blood In one previous version, I added some light scattering, and it looked more like wine, not quite the effect I wanted.
Even so, the glass and liquid can and should be improved.
For the next few days I won't be able to work on this, going away on a trip, but it's for the better, because now I'm a bit tired of it and the best course of action now is to return fresh and armed with your suggestions, so keep them coming

Cheers!

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Hello there, I'm back.

I'm back at this, improving the bottle, before calling it really done

Cheers and have a great 2013!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_23.jpg (54.0 KB, 70 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Originally Posted by lbelerique: Hello there, I'm back.

I'm back at this, improving the bottle, before calling it really done

Cheers and have a great 2013!

Looks good - but there's something with the lighting that I can't resolve, and it's offputting. You seem to have two light sources, a bright white in front, and a whiteFX in teh back giving the edge lighting - really, they should be different colors, and some of the planes seem to be lit wrong, especially in the face. It's the first thing I picked up on, honestly.

My suggestion would be to pick two colors, two across the color wheel work well, like maybe a touch of straw/yellow (warm) in the main light, and a purple/blue (cool) in the back. The eye has trouble focusing on colors that across the color wheel at the same time (they're called complementary colors, and create the highest contrast and in some cases the eye can't focus on both at the same time, which causes the eye to switch focus constantly, which creates a 3d effect - which is why blue/red is used for 3d) and it helps build volume. As it is, using white is flattening the image, to my mind. It would also make the figure more interesting to look at, and add more colors to the piece. You don't have to go bold, just some subtle color.

Hope that helps!

Old 01 January 2013   #11
Hey BillyWJ, thanks for your helpful comment.

I've added some hints of an orangey-blueish palette, in my opinion it does add some interest, but I don't want to overdo it because I want to maintain an almost monochromatic feel, inspired by the silent movies. I should be more careful with lighting in the future, probably I won't change this particular piece much more, but it's something to consider.
So, another small update (not totally convinced on the flask)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_24.jpg (62.0 KB, 69 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #12
The piece is very good already!

If I had to critic something. That back light is too strong, too white and everywhere distracting the eye too much.

Mu guapa. Suerte!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (60.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #13
Thanks Argon18, that was a cool tip, gracias tío
Dimmed somewhat the rimlight and adjust brightness and contrast (the earlier image looked too dark for me)

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_25.jpg (58.3 KB, 62 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #14
Originally Posted by lbelerique: Hey BillyWJ, thanks for your helpful comment.

I've added some hints of an orangey-blueish palette, in my opinion it does add some interest, but I don't want to overdo it because I want to maintain an almost monochromatic feel, inspired by the silent movies. I should be more careful with lighting in the future, probably I won't change this particular piece much more, but it's something to consider.
So, another small update (not totally convinced on the flask)

Cheers

I hear what you'r saying, no worries. About the flask - where's the left side? Cut out the right half, flip it on it's own layer, and line it up - I think you'll see what i'm talking about.

Old 01 January 2013   #15
Well, it's there, but got kind of funky with the paintovers, so, some more work on the flask

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosferatu_wine_26.jpg (58.3 KB, 29 views)

Thread Closed share thread