Charle P. Scene - Digital Painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Charle P. Scene - Digital Painting

I've tried to do a new "type" of digital painting.I wanted paint a person and not a landscape or some mountains.I made it just for fun a improve my painting's techniques.
I need some critiques on this stuff,I'd like to know where I made mistakes.
Sketch:

Digital Painting:

If you don't know him: http://hollywood-undead.wikia.com/wiki/Charlie_Scene

Old 12 December 2012   #2
I think it would be good to spend some more time cleaning up edges of lines instead of leaving that blurry look, making it look airbrushed. Lines can also be straightened out a little more, such as with the cap's LA; it can be cleaned up to look more like print.
I would suggest spending more time with details, paying attention to things like the zipper and blending your colours some more?
but overall, it's really good. I especially love the look of the preliminary sketch.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Thanks for your comment concept

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Think about how you can make a painting actually have artistic value. A copy of a photo is doesn't have inherent artistic value aside from the patience required to make the copy.

Think about artistic expression. How do you take a photo and do a creative interpretation that actually utilizes your own unique artistic sensibility. How can you idealize, exaggerate, simplify, stylize, and how can you use artistic tools in expressive ways such as interesting brushwork. What else can you do with the lighting/values and colors beside just copying them exactly from the photo?

Google artists like Craig Mullins, Jaime Jones, John Singer Sargent, Anders Zorn, Joaquin Sorolla, Pino, Richard Schmid, Daniel Gerhartz, Jeremy Lipking, Morgan Weistling, Susan Lyon, etc. Look at how despite them working under the umbrella of realism, they still managed to inject so much individual artistic expression into their work.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread