My first 2D artwork over here...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
My first 2D artwork over here...

Hi there... I've been sticking aroung for almost one month before I finally deceided to try to post in those forum. You see, I'm a student and I guest that most of you can imagine how intimidating it could be to try to get comments/critics from all those great artists whou are over here.

So, before I chang my mind (again), let me introduce me a little bit before to show you my "work"...

Well, as I said, I'm a student and, if you think my writing is a little bit off, you're right, English isn't my first langauge. So I hope you'll excuse my mistakes and if you feel the urge to correct my, it's ok, I totally accept this and I would be verry happy to try to improve my writting aswell! Lol!

So, for my background, I started studying Graphic arts 7 or 8 years ago and it prooved me that I didn't whant to do typography at all. I wanted to study 3D art, digital painting, etc. The problem was that the only school where I could be accepted was far too expansive for me. So, after I finished my graphic art program, I went to university in literature... (Don't ask... Lol!) After this "accident", a new 3D programed started in my province, I tried and I've been accepted. Now, it is my 3rd year in this program (bachelor degree in 3D animation and numeric design), I love it but I honestly think I need improvement. This is why I'm here today.

So, actually, we started the matte painting only this year so, I don't have a lot of work to show. To be honnest, I only have one for now. So, here it is!

Old 11 November 2012   #2
*snorts*
At least you're studying art. Me? I'm a cleaning lady who happens to like drawing in her spare time. In other words, no need to feel intimidated I think (although they are a bit awe inspiring the really good artists here).

So, regarding your picture, is there anything specific you want us to look at? Or do you merely want to show us your work and say hi?

I have no idea what "matte painting" is (but I know I've seen something about it somewhere here, so I can check later on), but there are some things that I wonder about:

1) What does the plane suffer from? Rust? It looks a bit strange to me. Also, what are they doing with the plane? Can they fly it? Is that why she's walking towards it with a luggage? I don't know if what I'm writing is even considered as being criticism, but I want to understand the image, and at the moment I don't (I've read that it was an assignment, but do you have a story behind it?). Right now the picture doesn't really make sense to me.

2) I like the trees in the foreground, but the area underneath them bothers me because they look like someone has taken a picture and blown it up a size or two, but forgotten about the twigs, grass, and leaves on the forest floor, OR, the people are very small compared to the forest (although the very dense, almost hedge of trees in the background look more normal sized to me).

3) The city in the background bothers me for some reason... It feels repetitive and maybe out of place? Or it could be the hedge that feels out of place, I really don't know (helpful, right?).

4) Why is the sky yellow? And shouldn't that be reflected in the entire picture? And where does the light come from?

As it is now, this picture confuses me a lot, but it could be an explanation that I need in order to understand it, rather than you changing things based on my questions and opinions. I am very inexperienced and really shouldn't give others any constructive criticism, but I'm trying to learn how to see things, so I think it might help me, to not only look at other pictures, but also analyze why things bother me at times with them.

I hope I didn't discourage you completely now.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Well, for the little history of this project, the teacher gave us the picture of the plane ant the picture of the woman. He asked us to do something "postapocalyptic". He didn't give us any story line and he didn't whant us to do any. For me, I tried to do something "post-human". Like some creatures evolved long after the disparition of Human. Even if it wasn't too important for this execise (the goal was to show us new photoshop technics), I was telling me some stories while doing it. For example, the plane have been found by one of those creatures who now live in this. He made some fire place in the open part of the plane and this wonan is going to see this creature...

If I posted here, of course, my main idea was to improve my work with critics and constructive comment from other artists. ;-)

The greenish stuff around the hole was supposed to be ivy growing out of the plane.

For the definition of matte painting, a matte painting is a background used in movies.

Did I answer to all your questions? ;-)

Last edited by bdec : 11 November 2012 at 01:43 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
Where exactly is your light source? You have really strong rim light on the left side of the tree on the right, but you have it on the right side of the trees on the left. Then, the vehicles in the background also have cast shadows that contradict your lighting information even more.

You need to establish your light source position/direction, and then be consistent about it throughout the entire scene, or else it won't make sense. This is a common problem among those who are piecing photos together but haven't studied the basic foundations of visual art--they create "Frankenstein" images pieced together from various sources, but nothing makes sense because all the pieces contradict each other.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thanks! I'm actually in a rush at school, but I'll work on this as soon as I got the time... Probably in two weeks! Lol!

I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you very much!

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread