Explorer - rider

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Explorer - rider

Doing this one, as it came to me without guidelines and references, to prevent destruction of remaining art ganglia cintique 12, photoshop, about 3hrs... could be detailed further...

Old 11 November 2012   #2
I'm not sure what kind of critique you're looking for (if any) but one thing that strikes me is the difference in the characters face between the initial sketch and the final sketch. You start by making him look very young (which makes sense considering his proportions) but in the final sketch he looks aged. I thought his face was better in the first sketch. Just my 2 cts.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Hey Sabra, thanks! In fact i was doodling very very randomly to unknown result. Also had idea of the very young kid as you well spotted, but somehow made his facial proportions more old along the way. I also think the child idea is better than hobbit idea, so i will work on it to get off the ages! Thanks!

Old 11 November 2012   #4
You've got way too much contrast all over everything, which creates a noisy look with low readability (everything looks jumbled together). You don't need to put so much contrast into every single thing. Some areas are supposed to have low contrast, so that areas with high contrast will stick out more and become the focal point. As an artist, you need to control where the viewer looks at by planning where to put high or low contrast, including sharp or soft edges, strong or muted colors, etc.

I recommend you take a look at Steven Stahlberg's paintover thread and see how he often solved this type of problem:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...243#post3558243

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Hey Lunatique, i see what you mean, thanks for pointing that out!
The picture is in drawing/concept phase where i still want to see what are the details clearly, therefore so much contrast
But i must admit that i often leave some areas overexposed even in final picture, so thanks again !

Old 11 November 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread