CGTalk > Work in Progress and Critique > WIP/Critique: 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Rich0352
portfolio
KEVIN A RICHARDSON
La Vergne, USA

WIP Portrait: First DIGITAL painting

I have worked in traditional media most of my life and have a somewhat solid background in the fundamentals of art, design etc.This is my first post here at CGTalk. I have had Painter on my computer for a while now and with two small children I thought now would be a good time to try to learn the ins and outs of painting digitally since I have despaired of ever having time to Paint traditionally. This Work In Progress is a portrait of my two year old son . It is from a photo that I took when I asked him to make silly faces at me. I think the expression is priceless. I am hoping that it continues to read as more of a facial shrug than an unhappy look. I would also appreciate input on palette choices and whether the forms are modeled well and reading properly. Any other tips or suggestions on execution are appreciated as well.

My base drawing; Simple line.

My first coat of color just looking at simple forms.

Adding shadows.

Adding Highlights.

Adding color base for the shirt and hair.

Beginning the final painting stages with more detailed rendering of the eyes and parts of the face. The drawing is starting to disappear beneath the coats of paint.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Since this is a portrait, and assuming you are working from photo references, you should post the reference if you want us to check to see if you've depicted the forms accurately, or captured the likeness convincingly.

The way you've composed the image, it suggests you have plans for the background, and if so, you ought to at least block in background so you are judging your values and colors accurately against the general idea of the background you want this portrait to have.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread