Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #1
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Send a message via MSN to Azawindam
Character Illustration WIP

Hi, I'd like to receive critiques for the piece that I'm working on, which is my rooster character.

Since my work is in progress, the part that I'd like to work on are lighting, reflected lighting, back-lighting (or sharp highlights, I guess), and the use of brushes. I'm trying to avoid using airbrush tool as it can make my work look too digitized.
I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

About Rooster Jim
An ex-convict, Jim made his way out of prison when the military realized that he was strongly immune to alien biological weapons when the prison was attacked by colonizing aliens from outer space. Knowing that Jim could be an asset, the government decided to allow Jim to step outside as long as he is willing to follow his duty - to exterminate the aliens.

What made Jim go to prison is that he got frustrated living in a world of humans that identifies him as an "alien" or a "martian" as he's got a rooster complexion. Though he received a lot of support from other people, he couldn't help but to live a stable, peaceful life in prison, where he shuts himself off from the society and enjoys disciplining convicts physically and mentally (in other words, bullying). There are many other reasons why he ended up in prison too, but this is his biggest one.

The artwork portrays Jim with his casual outfit. He got his customized mini-gun from his Pig friend who loves collecting weapons. As for the katana, he got it as a gift from a human friend who taught him martial arts, but later passed away in the midst of an alien attack.

Other than that, Jim loves to shoot and collect guns for his hobby. Sometimes he is into programming and hacking as well. He might not get along with humans but when it comes to missions, Jim definitely knows what to do.

Last edited by Azawindam : 11-06-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Second Show

Second one.
-I readjust the pose, especially his right arm to make it look more dynamic and more coherent to holding the minigun.
-I'm still having issues with how to deal with the "glossiness" of the minigun. I think I'm going for a flat or semi-gloss shading like Heavy's "minigun" from TF2. Not too sure, though.
-Add in some hair, which makes his facial look and silhouette lot more different.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

More updates

Third iteration

Old 11-10-2012, 03:44 AM   #4
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Fourth Iteration

Old 11-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #5
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Refined iteration

Here is my kinda product (without any critics so far) and critics and comments are welcomed, encouraged, and appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Sazem
Lord of the posts

Sampo Pesonen
Finland

Send a message via MSN to Sazem
haha looks really cool.

I like the character and the perspective is great too! Bandage makes it have some nice details, maybe more stronger blood or something?.. also maybe you could try and some shining or similar to weapon.

my only crit is the background red.. its hurting my eyes but maybe its just me

Old 11-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Smile

Sazem, thank you very much for your comment. I do contemplate about on how shiny I want his weapon to be, so I am aiming for his weapon to be semi-gloss rather than being too glossy and take away all the attention. As for the bandage part, I do think the blood stain's a bit too dull, but I'll think about modifying it. xD

Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Miked08
Big fan of pictures

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Mike Luard
CGI Artist
Colchester, United Kingdom

* Note to Sazem, I always seem to post after you lol! I swear I'm not following you

Hi Azawindam, let me first say I'm not especially good at critiquing an image so it may be wise to not follow everything I will suggest. Anyway, here I go:

I like the image otherwise I would not be writing this, nice job! He's a cool character! However, the perspective is every so slightly off (on the character and gun ellipses) as I have tried to demonstrate below:

In particular his right foot is too far out to the side. It would be a good idea to draw some construction lines in the future.

Some minor changes I made:
- shifted the spotlight on the ground so that it was positioned behind his head. I did this because I think the main area of interest is the face and this seemed to draw my view more effectively. Also, a bright specular reflection off the top of the gun barrel - this could also be done to the glasses to draw attention to the eyes. Maybe... Would his face be reflected in the barrel? The very shiny surface seems to suggest that it would.
- I assume the light is coming from above so I added a shadow under the arm.

To conclude, the main problem seems to be the foreshortening. One more thing, I think the torso should move forward quite a bit, almost to the point where his elbow would be 'touching' the bottom of the t shirt.

Nice job!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Azawindam
portfolio
Win Leerasanthanah
Bangkok, Thailand

Thank you very much for the critique

Hey Mike, thank you very much for the critique and showing me how it can be better. Yes, I do have a bit of trouble with foreshortening perspective, and it's challenging since in dealing with organic (the rooster) and geometric (minigun) shapes in perspective, and I'm thinking that using a 3D software might help me out on this. I really like how you add some light modifications since it changes the focus of the image, and that highlight at the tip of his gun is just gorgeous! I'll definitely play around more with lights and proportion and see what I can come up with. Again, thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread