Need oiling and tweaking..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Need oiling and tweaking..

I just recently in the last few months come back into my painting and drawing (been about three years since I've picked up a stylus and pencil), so I'm definitely a wee bit rusty. Created these few 2D digital paintings where I've come to the point that I need a few fresh eyes to gaze and comment on them.
All forms of critique are welcome, from composition to any technical issues that would help for future images that I make. Thanks.

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Loving your characters there, but common for both of them is that they dont have highlights. I can see why you would want to have a flat and dead look, but some lighter areas would help the picture I think.

The only problem with the landscape is that the water is done with hard thin strokes, and doesn't feel very liquid.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Now that you mention the highlights to the character images, I can see it. Thanks for pointing that out.
With the landscape image I was experimenting more with brushes and textures, so I'll have to experiment with a better custom brush.
Not sure if the composition is any good in the landscape though.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I don't see anything that bothers me. For WIP's that aren't finished, I think they are solid and look promising.

I would like to see you finish one of these so I can see how finished you get, which would put these rougher states in context. Otherwise, they just look like rough versions ready to enter the final stages of polish, and I have no idea if I should comment on the forms are modeled or selective detail.

You need to differentiate the various surface properties with varying levels of specular or diffused highlights, otherwise everything will look like the same surface type.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thanks for the comments. I'll think about finishing one of these as soon as.

Old 12 December 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread