Vic Monty's 2D WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Vic Monty's 2D WIP

I posted in the anatomy section. I'm seeking guidance on more than anatomy at this point with my piece so I felt it was appropriate to post here as well. If not, please let me know and I will refrain.

I started an anatomical study of a ref photo...

Then I wanted to take it further. I had a vision of an ancient ritual. A priest, if you will, either taking something out of the woman or giving her something. Either way I thought his expression fit perfectly.

I started in color...

I felt I was getting ahead of myself worrying about values and everything else. So I switched.

I started to add a bit of clothing on the male. Nothing yet on the female. This is where poor planning stumps me.

Since I didn't plan on an actual piece for this I didn't do my reference search in advance.

What I am asking the community is if, from your experience, is it better to just call this one a study and move on, or see my "vision" through?

I'm interested in hearing how other artist have dealt with these situations.

If I should see it through am I headed in the right direction? What should I do next? I'm keeping it in gray scale because I want to tackle one thing at a time.

Done using photoshop and intuous 3.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Having done all this work is a good thing. You haven't lost anything and it's good that you know you've hit a wall here.

What I recommend is stopping where you're at and start again very very small. Do at least 10 thumbnail drawings to explore possible compositions using the two figures you've been studying. Just draw in their silhouettes and work with large shapes and find something that's visually interesting that considers some of the fundamentals of design. Post back with your results!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design..._and_principles

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Wait, are you suggesting I take an imaginative approach? That's where the fear kicks in...damn that art fear.

Thank you for viewing and replying. I appreciate your time.

I try to never consider any piece a waste. I try to take a way something from everything I do.

I had this vision, but my lack of skills in the fundamentals department prohibit me.

"Brilliant at the basics" is a motto we use at work. It applies to everything, including art.

I really appreciate the design principles link. I added it to my "reading list".

So, I'll read the info in that link and then I'll work on thumbnails. I'll post what I come up with. Thanks again.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 10 October 2012   #4
rule of thirds, rule of odds and rule of space. got it!

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Alright, so I'm playing around with different comps.

I really like the simplicity of the first and last one.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #6
i started a new thumbnail with a hero, if you will, coming in to save this poor soul. then I remembered an older anatomy study i did.

Is this efficient? Should I not pic from older studies like this and start fresh?

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #7
hehe...same model...his clone is coming to kill him. it has nothing to do with the girl. "There shall be only one!"

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Ahh, I think I'm going to keep it simple with just the two and work on a good setting for them alone.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Now you're getting there! Next step is to come up with some kind of 'stage' to immerse the figures in.

If I get some free time in the next few days I can do a few paint-overs to help you brainstorm and establish your horizon-line/vanishing point.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
Well that'll be great! Ill work on this some more in the mean time.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #11
well somewhere along this process i lost track of my dpi with all the different files i saved. i found my current black and white version was at 72. I will have to repaint at higher dpi. very frustrated. even though i only painted 2 figures, it was a long process for me. not sure if i want to keep going with this.

should i have just left it at a figure study?

perhaps.

still not sure if i should just go with the 2 figures or add the third.

not sure if the shapes formed make for a good comp.

since i didn't plan on a comp for this and just a study, i feel i'm wasting a lot of time banging my head trying to get this right.

i really want to see this one through but trying to plan a comp around 2 figures in place is hard for me right now.

i like the above comp draft. odd number of objects, i read, was a good way to go. not sure if that's always true. then again, when i add the actual background that would all change.

does anyone remember a time when they spent so long on a painting? in between i did take a break to do a photo study...

it helped me come back a little refreshed, but still a bit stuck.

i see what i want, but i'm a bit afraid to execute and fail.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #12
here's a bg idea. doesn't feel natural to me.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #13
I like the idea, and you took some strong poses to work with and I admire you for that. If I were you, I'd consider the story more. What kind of priest is he? Who does he answer to? This might give you more inspiration for the environment. Not all priest do their thing in a church, some prefer a mountain or a dark forest. I'd also experiment with some clothing. Right now, everything is very 'naked'. I understand the naked woman, it expresses her vulnerabity. But the (half) naked priest might benefit from a little coverage. Perhaps a larger cape that makes a dynamic shape in the background.

Just some random ideas, I hope you keep posting more!

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Just some ideas?

Are you kidding me? That's why I'm here.

Thinking more about the story is already making it clearer for me. It seems like such a basic or obvious concept, but my head is wrapped around so much of the other elements I just overlooked it.

Thanks for that!

I'm thinking catacombs. I may even dress both of them up even more.

My progress is very slow, but I want to see this through.

Thanks for viewing.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Old 11 November 2012   #15
alright new ideas. i keep going back to the simpler, just the two.

inspired by roman catacombs.

trying to keep the established wall. I like it there.

a large tablet of sorts. almost flips the concept of the 2nd idea of walls and a doorway.

Anatomy SB
Tumblr
Deviant Art

Thread Closed share thread