First time poster

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
First time poster

Hey everybody. Just joined up, this is my first post. I and some friends are working on a video game concept. The setting is a vast Siberian diamond mine. It's a MOBA of sort but we haven't gotten very far in the development process.

I'm pretty new to digital painting. Any critique and/or advice would be extremely helpful since I would really like to get better.

If it isn't clear the viewpoint is from the bottom of the mine looking up. Those crystals are actually fictional (they are not suppose to be real diamonds). I.e. the size of them is fine.

Here are some examples of mines: http://tinyurl.com/9xwxwzq

Old 10 October 2012   #2
The lighting doesn't look too convincing, and the surface textures can use some variations. If your light source is the sky dome, then it'll be very diffused lighting, and the cast shadows very soft and faint. If there's a bright sun off-camera and shining into the mine, then you need to have hard-edged and contrasty form and cast shadows.

It looks like you're trying to replicate the look of traditional markers, but what's the reason for doing that? With digital tools, you have so many much more useful brush types that can convey far more than the limited range that markers can.

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks

Thank you for your comment Lunatique. I imagined the light source being the sky dome - and subsequently diffused lighting, but I guess I just need more practice.

I actually didn't intend to mimic any marker style but now that you mention it I can see what you mean. I only used one type of brush, a boxy/skewed/rough type but that was only because I was under the impression that I should stick to one or few brushes while I was still learning how to use them.

I have this technique where I keep the brush at 50% opacity and 50% flow and 'Paint Over -> Eyedrop New Value -> Paint Over -> Eyedrop New Value' etc. That's sort of how I blend colors together. It's probably a common practice although I have no idea if it's any good or not. Should I rather be opening up the color spectrum and manually pick new colors?

I will post updates later!

Thanks again!

Old 11 November 2012   #4
I personally just use opacity control via pen pressure when painting varying values. Some people turn off opacity control and use the number keys to dial in the opacity as they paint.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread