Cookies & Milk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Cookies & Milk

This is a personal illustration I've been working on a few months ago, but got tired of it and stopped. I'd like to finish it though, so maybe posting its progress here and getting some c&c would help
Here is the progress from the beginning, there's still a lot of work:

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Pretty cool idea. Lots of things going on in this picture, lots of details to discover, which is cool. The main problem is that the eye of the beholder is attracted to parts of your painting which are not so important, whereas the important part is not getting the attention it deserves.

This is largely due to saturation. I think the red hot oven and the rocky bottom of this floating island are too saturated, compared to the rest. I understand you're trying to achieve some atmospheric perspective with the mountains, but it's hurting your composition. I think you need to redefine the focal point of the painting. I would suggest a beam of sunlight hitting the bunnies on the island, more saturated colors on the island and mountains rather than at the bottom.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
The idea is very interesting, but the dead center composition and with the camera pulled so far back from the scene gives it a sterile and dispassionate, disinterested vibe. I would suggest you choose a much more intimate or involved focal length/camera angle so we get much closer to this cute scene. Maybe push the camera all the way next to the bunnies at the left/bottom of the scene, and then tilt the camera up a bit an at angle (worm's eye view) towards the pouring milk. Or, maybe have a bird's eye view with the camera next to the pouring milk, pointed an an angle down towards the scene below.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
i like it

nice painting style! If you squint your eyes and look at it you can see the greatest point of interest. For me it's the bottom edge of the floating island. That high contrast edge attracts my sight forcing my eyes away from all the cool stuff going on on the top of the island. My suggestion, is to not have clouds at the bottom. Turn the clouds into a layer and have a darker sky for the island to sit on. Think about having the bottom of the island's edge have a lot less contrast with the background add in some atmosphere etc to help it blend in.

Last edited by tAstyBITs : 11 November 2012 at 05:24 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread