Petition for the King

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Petition for the King **Possibly Finished!**

Thought I'd share a commission I've been working on.

I got the idea from Rembrandt's 'The Night Watch.' But instead of the Captain's guard going out to do whatever, I wanted to show a trial of sorts where a prisoner's charges were being read aloud while 'the guard' stands by waiting for the verdict. But ultimately, I wanted to try a more classical composition that uses a pool of light to create focal points.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 10 October 2012 at 07:55 AM.

10 October 2012
Here's some compositional analysis. My goal in the end is to keep the viewer locked into the general area of these two triangles. The primary focus will be the area where the two triangles are touching.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 10 October 2012 at 03:56 PM.

10 October 2012
Here are some progression shots.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 10 October 2012 at 08:44 AM.

10 October 2012
nice approach! I like to see people wip like that.

10 October 2012
Right now the left most character (in the B/W version. In the colored version it's reversed) is placed a bit awkwardly at the very edge of the canvas, and I think pulling him a bit more into the image will help. Also, maybe swap those two characters on the left, so they form a diagonal that flows with the eye-leading to the center of focus?

Looking great BTW. We don't get advanced artists posting in the WIP forum much, so it's nice when you post your WIP's.

Last edited by Lunatique : 10 October 2012 at 08:12 AM.

10 October 2012
Thanks guys!

I updated the images above with its current state. I have been sidetracked on this project but am hoping to finish it this weekend, or at least get very close.

10 October 2012
Another update!

I'm working from right to left and giving everything a 'painterly' paint-over. About all that's left for that layer is the three background figures on the far left and the curtain/tapestry thing hanging behind them. That section feels a little flat compared to everything else, but it will be taken care of in the end.

In addition to that, there are several other things I will tinker with before it's complete. I'm going to up the color saturation for certain figures and areas so that they really catch the eye. I also plan on giving each figure certain ornamentation and patterns on their clothes to add a bit more character. And finally, since my monitor is not calibrated, I don't know if this is too dark or not, so I'll likely adjust the levels so that the lights are even brighter. We want them to pop out nicely in the end.

10 October 2012
Alright I think I might be done with this puppy. I flipped it to add a fresh 'perspective' and updated the images above with the final.

Thanks for looking and please feel free to offer any advice.

10 October 2012
I'm curious about the use of 3d and photo references. And besides how you made it, the final result is like a modern masterpiece....i love this quality. Thanks for the posting the WIP..very usefull.

10 October 2012
JM-art: Thanks for the kind comments! As for references, I had to pose for each figure in the piece. I had to come up with costumes, lighting, and think outside the box for anything I didn't have available. Broomsticks became weapons, blankets became robes, etc... I didn't end up using any 3d rendering. The grid of the floor was done with the Photoshop line and perspective transform tools based off a rough sketch.

On another forum someone has dissected the perspective for me, and it looks like I have it a bit off as the tiles are concerned. So when I get a chance to work on this again I'll be adjusting the floor quite a bit.

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 10 October 2012 at 03:01 AM.

10 October 2012
I really love how you break down the composition. Really useful to see that it works when looking at the image and then explained why it's so. The painting itself is more than I can comprehend. The WIPs are very helpful in this regard though.

10 October 2012
Thanks a lot, i like to know this kind of things (use of reference etc) both for learning and to have an idea of what is possible (or just preferable) or not using just the imagination (wich is not the way to go obviously for this kind of works).
About the perspective thing, it may be off or not, but in my opinion some inperfect things here and there helps to give life to the pictures... In this case and in my opinion, is not an "error" that bothers or distract the eye. Making the tiles perfectly aligned can flatten the image...but i can't swear that that will be the case!

Cheers.

10 October 2012
You're absolutely right. There are some highly skilled artists out there who turn the "rules" upside down and do some tremendous things.

On the topic of references again. In the world of fantasy-realism or illustration in general. Using constructive reference is essential to develop as an artist. Never try to guess your way through things that can be solved by observing life.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by ZombieMariachis: On the topic of references again. In the world of fantasy-realism or illustration in general. Using constructive reference is essential to develop as an artist. Never try to guess your way through things that can be solved by observing life.

This is so true, and it's one of the most important things that aspiring artists need to learn, but for whatever reasons, the CG community at large keeps on perpetuating the misguided mentality that using references is cheating, and real artists all just work from their heads only. I try hard to dispel this kind of ignorance and misinformation, but it is still being regurgitated and repeated out there by those who haven't learned enough about the process of creating realistic illustrations.

10 October 2012
Lunatiqu: I like showing people these two images from notable illustrators Rockwell and Elvgren. They convey the point perfectly!

Thread Closed share thread