Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
nio850
portfolio
Andrei Kedrin
Tallinn, Estonia

2D character

Hello,

I am doing now proposal CG character and I'd like to receive critiques.

Character Story:

- Sci-fi character for humorous action adventure game.
- Alien being with a body plan that is generally like that of a human with an extra features like ability to stay several minutes underwater.
- He is from earth-like planet, but with more damp climate.
- He is equipped with raygun and jetpack.
- At the moment he is a scout on Earth. His mission is planet exploring. He is a nice, but ready to action guy.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nio850 : 09-28-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You need to tell us some details about this character. Who is he, what role does he play in the story, what kind of world is he from, what are the requirements of his job/mission, what is his personality, etc. You can't just look at a character and give critique without knowing the "why" behind the character's design.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
nio850
portfolio
Andrei Kedrin
Tallinn, Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatique
You need to tell us some details about this character. Who is he, what role does he play in the story, what kind of world is he from, what are the requirements of his job/mission, what is his personality, etc. You can't just look at a character and give critique without knowing the "why" behind the character's design.

Thank you for your comment. I added character story and next time will be more attentive to this part of character design.

Old 09-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
nio850
portfolio
Andrei Kedrin
Tallinn, Estonia

Old 09-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Gaelstrom
portfolio
David K
MESA, USA

I like this style. Immediately I was reminded of Earthworm Jim to some degree.

I personally like the shapes you've chosen for their simplicity to match the style, but there is a little bit of a discrepancy to being a 'nice' character, but being 'ready to act.' To be completely honest, I would be very impressed if you managed to find a way to get that contradiction of character into his expression. Right now, his facial expression is contradicting his body stance in my opinion so it feels a little forced.

If you can keep the softness of his eyes while showing a more rugged nature around them without taking away his simplistic feel, he could really stand out I think. It would be a nice challenge as well considering his alien design.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #6
nio850
portfolio
Andrei Kedrin
Tallinn, Estonia

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
nio850
portfolio
Andrei Kedrin
Tallinn, Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelstrom
I like this style. Immediately I was reminded of Earthworm Jim to some degree.

I personally like the shapes you've chosen for their simplicity to match the style, but there is a little bit of a discrepancy to being a 'nice' character, but being 'ready to act.' To be completely honest, I would be very impressed if you managed to find a way to get that contradiction of character into his expression. Right now, his facial expression is contradicting his body stance in my opinion so it feels a little forced.

If you can keep the softness of his eyes while showing a more rugged nature around them without taking away his simplistic feel, he could really stand out I think. It would be a nice challenge as well considering his alien design.

I tried to fix this face issue

Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
Gaelstrom
portfolio
David K
MESA, USA

Unfortunately I may not have been very clear about what I meant. The face still looks good, but I didn't mean changing the shape of the face so much as the nature that he conveys through his eyes. His eyes were very soft and gentle-looking, like he wouldn't hurt a fly, however his stance was an action stance looking like he was ready to shoot his gun at any danger, which kind of seemed like those two elements were at odds with one another. The idea wasn't anything special, it was just my opinion of it, but I was curious to see how it would have looked if his eyes showed a little bit more of the readiness to attack that his body does without sacrificing the same factors in the eyes that make him look gentle.

Hopefully that makes more sense. I like both head shapes, but in my personal opinion, I think it would be impressive to make the more rounded head work. The contradiction of a battle-ready character with very round features seems like a good challenge.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
tAstyBITs
Crazy

portfolio
Darran Hurlbut
Concept artist, Illustrator
Freelance
USA

Send a message via ICQ to tAstyBITs Send a message via MSN to tAstyBITs
I like the second head, it's has has better flow in my humble opinion. I'd like to through a technical thought at ya. Looking at the rim light I don't see any change in thickness of the line. This could be a style choice but there could be some room for improvement. Having some variation in the thickness of the rim light could help define the shapes more and add more wow.

i found a photo that might visually show what I'm talking about,
here
the rim light thin and narrow as it might be is influenced the by the shape. The picture shows how the rim light can vary in thickness.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread