Not Immune Rejected from Cgtalk critiques needed

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Not Immune critiques needed

Hello everyone my name is Nathan Waggoner and my painting Not Immune was rejected from the cg talk gallery. I have my ideas on why, but I really need another artists eye to see if this image can be saved. I really do like the painting, but if it is too cliche and due to its simplicity and cannot be saved even if further lighting and detail is added then I understand. I really would like to save this painting and have it in the cg talk gallery. I hope it can be saved with all of your help.

http://www.forumeducated.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Nwagz : 09 September 2012 at 09:19 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Art directed by community

I did want to add that I am looking to be art directed by the cg community. I have the technical skill to fix it in any way the community suggests. I have my own ideas on how to make it a better painting, but where is the fun in painting in a vacuum. I will also put a link to this thread on my blog for others to learn from my mistakes and grow into better artists. Thank you all for your time. Late Nwagz

Old 09 September 2012   #3
The idea itself is fine--it's a close-up portrait of some kind of ghoul, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's mainly the execution that is lacking. You have the skill to render, but your understanding of anatomy, skin properties, and overall artistic sensibility needs work. The skeletal structure of the face is not very good, and the wrinkles on the skin is rendered in a vague manner instead of actually look like wrinkles. Rim lighting at the contour is also used inconsistently. The blood dripping on the chin also don't convincing enough.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Update coming

Thank you so much for your reply Robert. I went a head and started to fix the issues in the image before I read this critique addressing the anatomical issues, and lighting issues that plaque this painting. If it was not for your critique I would be second guessing my decisions in this regard. I will be posting a revision here soon addressing the issues you mentioned. Your comment helped immensely.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread