Hitchcock Painting - Critique Needed Please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Hitchcock Painting - Critique Needed Please

I was inspired by a black and white photograph of Alfred Hitchcock on the set of Psycho and wanted to have a go recreating it in colour. I started painting in grayscale to get the correct values down. Once I had achieved that I painted in the colour. I kept the colours low in saturation to give the finished piece a cinematic appearance. The painting took around 18 hours using Photoshop.

I am looking to improve the way I paint, therefore, any critique is very much appreciated.

09 September 2012
This is the original photo...

09 September 2012
Check out the values! first thing you should do is working more on the reflective shadow!

09 September 2012
Not bad. I would add more global illumination.

09 September 2012
Not bad!

Although, I feel as if you may be adhering to the tonal values of the old, worn slightly overexposed photograph a little too much - a low amount of midtones works within that particular medium, but when translated in to digital illustration you need to compensate.

To illustrate - look at the left eye, and how the full tonal range you've used serves to define the fundamental forms and how it compares to the right eye and how flat it looks comparatively. (Same goes for the hand, to a certain degree - although I can see you've started to take a bit of licence when confronted with a blob of white for a reference, haha.)

Nice work, keep at it!

09 September 2012
Thanks for your comments guys. From what you have both said, I need to improve on the lighting. I'll bear this in mind

09 September 2012
Is the background some sort of Photoshop filters, looks like water color filter or something close. This has to go.

Anyway, I cannot see why you cannot make the background like in the reference picture.

You also may want to look at the right collar (left side screen wise), the shadow looks 'furry' , if I did not have the reference image, I would have no idea its the shadow.

Also, when you look at the suit, its dark in the reference, but not pitch black under lighting like in your painting.

Like others have said, work on the contrasts. Even in dark shadowed areas, there are areas which are more dark. In your picture, they look almost evenly dark.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread