CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
vincenttan

portfolio
Vincent Tan Teck Wee
Singapore, Singapore

Strangewood - Ancient City (Submission Declined)

"Your submission has been declined for the following reason(s):
* Your image currently does not meet the general quality level of the Showcase Gallery. There could be a number of different reasons, but generally, images are rejected due to artistic or technical problems. We cannot provide you with a detailed critique, since we have hundreds of submissions to the Showcase Gallery to sort through.

We suggest you post your work in the WIP forums so that other members in the community can help you troubleshoot your image by providing critiques specific to your image."

Can someone advise me on this?

Old 07-27-2012, 06:58 AM   #2
psage
Chad Lehman
Sandy, US

Maybe by way of general critique... the clouds and foreground seem a bit too similar in value and treatment. Maybe if one were darker and the other were lighter to suggest some depth. It also seems hard to make out the shape of the building since the values are so close to the clouds and foreground.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
vincenttan

portfolio
Vincent Tan Teck Wee
Singapore, Singapore

Hmm... i see what you mean. Thanks for the feedback!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
JonBath
Veteran

portfolio
Jon Bathurst
student
Kitchener, Canada

the shape of that top ring on the building is poorly drawn and could but corrected with better perspective. Thats the main thing I see. The idea is cool though.

check out my deviant art

Old 08-02-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
jakerpot
portfolio
Bernardo
Estância Velha, Brazil

The perspective of the right part of the top ring seems a little strange to me... Maybe it's because i'm seeing it resized.
Also, the purple light's seems to atract too much attention to them, maybe they are contrasting too much with the rest of the piece.
I think the idea is nice too.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
vincenttan

portfolio
Vincent Tan Teck Wee
Singapore, Singapore

I intended the Ring to be a "0" shape rather than a "o" shape, but maybe the shading cause the right part of the Ring to appear weird. Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
vincenttan

portfolio
Vincent Tan Teck Wee
Singapore, Singapore

Did some amendments, please continue to give me some feedback.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
psage
Chad Lehman
Sandy, US

Still think you need some counterpoint with the textures... the softness of the clouds should contrast with something... the trees(?) on the ground look like the same texture.

Also think about showing the bottom of the cloud line. The way it's drawn it looks like they touch the horizon, which kinda kills any depth illusion for them.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Wouldn't that intense of lights have more of effect on the ground around them? Just a thought.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
Bleke
Bleke is no disturbance

portfolio
Lars Weigl
Sala, Sweden

When I look at this I don't see a city. I see.. I don't know, a strange structure. Some sort of power station maybe. Or a futuristic switchgear.

It's understandable that you want to make something that doesn't look anything like what we have today, but in doing so you present a problem for the viewer. It can be a tough balancing act to create something that looks like it comes from another planet and at the same time have the general viewer recognize it for what it is supposed to be.

Feng Zhu talks quite a bit about this in his videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

Old 08-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #11
JonBath
Veteran

portfolio
Jon Bathurst
student
Kitchener, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenttan
I intended the Ring to be a "0" shape rather than a "o" shape, but maybe the shading cause the right part of the Ring to appear weird. Thanks for all the feedback!

regardless..its not even an "0" shape its a bent 0. going the perspective you have if you layed it down flat on a 2d plane it would be all distorted or "warped" for lack of a better word.

check out my deviant art

Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Pwwka
Scout

portfolio
Colm Lawton
Illustrator
Pwwka
Dublin, Ireland

Send a message via MSN to Pwwka
I like the overall idea.

It seems like the image would benefit from more perspective devices (such as values) to lead the eye around. As it is, the eye is drawn from light to light. I would suggest that there needs to be a dramatic core. Lights in images are hard to use because they generally have to complement, help describe, or "say something about" the main subject matter. I would lose all but a couple of lights as "key" lights, which could define the structure by casting light on it. After that smaller, tiny lights could be used to show how big the structure actually is.

My two cents.

C

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

you need to manage your tonal composition better. There are a lot of similar values of the same contrast scattered all over the image. If you turned this image into B/W, you'll see how it lacks a sense of value hierarchy and value management that makes the image easier to read. Simplify everything down to their basic shapes and values and then work on arranging and managing them so they create an interesting visual composition even before you add any details at all.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread