Painting and Sketches

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2012   #1
Painting and Sketches

It's been a while since I last posted here. I've been working and practicing and studying. =]
I decided to start this thread with paintings and sketches, almost a clone of my blog, to see what you guys think and maybe get some feedback.

The Avengers are coming this week to Brazil, so my first painting here is my version of the Hulk. I did this last weekend, the get in the mood for the movie. =]

Website.

Old 04 April 2012   #2
You've got a bit of a "smudge-a-titus" problem going on here, where your edges are arbitrary and without reason. You need to have a good reason to make any edge either sharp, firm, soft, or lost. You can base it on distance (such as camera lens's focal plane), or on point of interest (main focal point is sharper and more contrasty).

The colors are also too flat, without enough natural or artistic hue/saturation variations on each of the local colors. For example, think about the effects of radiosity and color bleed. There's also natural variations, such as skin tone being cooler or warmer depending on if there are lots of micro-blood vessels near the surface (such as the cheeks), or skin is tightly stretched over bones (such as collarbones), or there's a lot of fat underneath the skin. Even the dirt on the ground has natural color variations--not all the grains of dirt at the exact same color. You can even vary the color cast of your multiple light sources to create more color interest, such as one warm and one cool light.

Your cast shadow doesn't make much sense. Where exactly are your light sources? I see a rim light and a diffused frontal/top light?

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Hey Lunatique, great feedback, thanks!

To be honest I didn't worry too much about the edges. I have this goal of trying to paint something good in a short amount of time, so this way I can focus on the overall piece and not waste time on details. I know working on details is a great thing and can be a differential for the piece, not a waste of time and I like to work on details, but here I was trying to focus in this faster way of working and trying to get the essence of the character. =]

About the colors, I see what you're saying and I understand it. I just don't know exactly how to work these subtleties. Color is a subject I always had trouble, and I'm still working on this.

I tried to work a little bit on these matters you brought up, but kind of quickly to still be in the mood of a quicker painting. I worked the edges in his face, in the ears to be more specific, and along his shoulders and arms. I made his legs blurry, thinking in what you said about point of interest, making his upper body the main thing on the painting. I tried some coloring in his cheeks, a warmer color in the higher part of his body, and bits of a cooler color along his body, but I still don't know exactly how to make this.
About the lighting you asked, I started with a frontal/top light, but something was weird about it, so I made a light source right behind him to try to make it more appealing.

Thank you very much for the feedback!

Website.

Old 05 May 2012   #4
Hey guys!
I've started to paint some portraits to study and practice lighting and colors. I think it's a great idea to use the human face for this kind of study, due its complexity. There are a lot of planes, a lot of reflected lights, reflected colors, etc. And it's also really hard to do, which is a good thing.

I painted here Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones' character.

These are a few steps of the process:

1 - The lines are not really looking like the actress. It's more like a guide, to have a start point.
2 - The first lights to paint, and also some changes in her face structure.
3 - She is in a outdoor scene, and it's like sunrise, so there's light everywhere. It's really hard to figure out all the lights reflecting on her face.
4 - Another thing that makes it difficult are the ashes on her face. She has a lot of dirt on her face, what creates dark spots in the light side.
5 - The hair and some details.
6 - Start coloring. For this I just made a color layer above all layers to paint. And a few adjustments on hue/saturation and color balance after the color painting.

I hope you like.
I'll try a different light source next time. =]

Website.

Old 05 May 2012   #5
Death - Sandman

Here's my favorite character in Neil Gaimanís Sandman world, Death! =]

http://www.laurentino.com.br/blog/d...te-neil-gaiman/

Website.

Old 06 June 2012   #6
The Death image is much better than the other ones in this thread. It's got better coherency in terms of overall tonal composition. The anatomy is a bit off though--her breasts are way too high, even for a stylized look.

When you do studies like the one of the Targaryen girl, try to manage your values by simplifying them down to around 5 distinct values. This way, it's much easier to maintain value coherency, and it trains your ability to make critical judgment when observing values.

Last edited by Lunatique : 06 June 2012 at 06:29 PM.

Old 06 June 2012   #7
Hi Lunatique.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
I'll keep in mind the 5 values thinking for the next paintings. I think the hardest thing to me is to deal with reflected light, which in a human face is very hard to identify and to represent in a subtle way.
I'll keep working on that. Thanks a lot.

Website.

Old 07 July 2012   #8
Here's a Spider-Man painting I did last month:

Website.

Old 07 July 2012   #9
And here's a couple of studies I did recently:

Website.

Old 07 July 2012   #10
Another portrait, Gwen Stacy, Emma Stone version. =]
About 1 hour painting.

I made a video of this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U87WE1wZhTk&feature=plcp

Website.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Joss Stone portrait. About 2h painting.

Website.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
A little zombie for Halloween. =]

The painting video:
(1h30min recorded - another hour after the recording retouching, fixing and adding details)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...d&v=bW9s8Noo9C4

Website.

Old 11 November 2012   #13
I absolutely love your work man. I dont really have any critique, I personally suck at sketching as I just started with it. I just wanted to let you know you are very talented

Old 11 November 2012   #14
Julian - thanks a lot. I'm really glad you like my work. =]

Website.

Old 11 November 2012   #15
re:

You're very welcome

Quick question for you, what brushes do you use for sketching? I am very interested in knowing what kinds you use, especially for Neil Gaimanís Sandman World, "death".

I just started skeetching on a Wacom Bamboo but I find it hard to find a proper brush to use for sketching.

Do you sketch and draw with the same brush or do you change them? Any tips would be great!

Last edited by Sh1zn3t : 11 November 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling

reply share thread