The unspoken CGTalk Gallery standards

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11 November 2012   #46
sparra (post# 44)--There is only one type of work that is accepted into the galleries here. Work that is at a level of quality that meets the minimum standard of acceptability and above that, regardless of style or genre.
There are two types of loose (impressionistic) work, well done and poorly done. You can’t use the excuse of style bias to justify a loosely painted work that looks like a quick, poorly skilled sketch.
__________________
 
Old 11 November 2012   #47
Originally Posted by sparra: We are visual people and if we could see examples of pieces that were first rejected, then reworked, then accepted that would be really helpful. To see the actual image's instead of reading up on a thread. Actual pictures.

Also examples of 'almost accepted'- to help define where the line of acceptance is. Would be really useful when considering making submissions. This would also mean less wasted valuble time for the judges. People would'nt post so many things not up to standard.

The only work you need to see, to gauge where the quality of your work needs to be, is what’s in the galleries, and don’t judge where you should be by the minimal levels of quality in the galleries. Shoot high. That should go without saying.

If you want to see everything that was both accepted into and rejected from the galleries, go to ‘Browse CGPortfolio’.

http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/browse/index.php

You can get there from your CGP, just hit ‘Start Browsing Now’.
__________________
 
Old 11 November 2012   #48
Originally Posted by Quadart: sparra (post# 44)--There is only one type of work that is accepted into the galleries here. Work that is at a level of quality that meets the minimum standard of acceptability and above that, regardless of style or genre.
There are two types of loose (impressionistic) work, well done and poorly done. You can’t use the excuse of style bias to justify a loosely painted work that looks like a quick, poorly skilled sketch.


Yes, thanks, I said that already. Agree totally. That was my point... did you read the whole post?
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #49
Originally Posted by Quadart: The only work you need to see, to gauge where the quality of your work needs to be, is what’s in the galleries, and don’t judge where you should be by the minimal levels of quality in the galleries. Shoot high. That should go without saying.

If you want to see everything that was both accepted into and rejected from the galleries, go to ‘Browse CGPortfolio’.

http://portfolio.cgsociety.org/browse/index.php

You can get there from your CGP, just hit ‘Start Browsing Now’.


How do i know what was not up to standard please? Thank you.
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #50
Originally Posted by sparra: Yes, thanks, I said that already. Agree totally. That was my point... did you read the whole post?

Yes, I read the whole post, including this part of it:
Originally Posted by sparra: I posted a piece of work and came to the conclusion that there is a certain level of phot-realism, smoothness and blending requred to make an image look finished.
Times have changed and its all in the finer details, CG must have some realism, not look impressionist in any way.

I relate it back to modenist paintion in the 1900's when Manet's work was unfinished by 'The Salon' in Paris- considered to be crudely painted and un-finished.
Same was said about Cezanne. It's impressionism. I think that CG is the oppersite to that, realism and hyper realism.


------

Originally Posted by sparra: How do i know what was not up to standard please? Thank you.

You’ll have to do a little research work on your own, here. Images in portfolios that do not have the orange link that reads ‘This Image has…comments on CGTalk>’ were either not accepted into the gallery or were not submitted. Seeing what a lot of folks try to submit to the gallery only leads me to believe that just about everything submitted to a CGP is also submitted to the gallery in the process.
__________________

Last edited by Quadart : 11 November 2012 at 03:23 PM.
 
Old 11 November 2012   #51
All in this thread

Originally Posted by Quadart: Yes, I read the whole post, including this part of it:


------


You’ll have to do a little research work on your own, here. Images in portfolios that do not have the orange link that reads ‘This Image has…comments on CGTalk>’ were either not accepted into the gallery or were not submitted. Seeing what a lot of folks try to submit to the gallery only leads me to believe that just about everything submitted to a CGP is also submitted to the gallery in the process.


I see thank you. This clarifies our standing perfectly.

We are all the exception to the rule where just about everything submitted to a CGP is also submitted to the gallery in the process. Its just us few following this thread. Nice to think about.

The facts are fact and I will take that to be accurate.

Will look out for the orange comments.
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #52
I said in my first post

Nothing sketchy. (like mine)... and..

If I want to participate I need to work up to standard.



I don't think I should have discussed impressionist painting history, you are right.

I will leave traditional painting off topic in future posts.

Your point acknowledged.
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #53
Originally Posted by sparra: I posted a piece of work and came to the conclusion that there is a certain level of phot-realism, smoothness and blending requred to make an image look finished.
Times have changed and its all in the finer details, CG must have some realism, not look impressionist in any way.


Stop making assumptions. I'm one of the gallery validation panel and I have a particular DISLIKE of realistic work. My favourite painter is Turner, and I have a long history of plugging non-realistic work, especially 2D work, on this site. Having said that, I don't judge work according to my personal taste, which is why every day I vote yes on both realistic and non-realistic pieces.

The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant. Instead of accusing the site of style bias, I'd gently suggest you adopt a more self-critical approach to your work.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
Old 11 November 2012   #54
Originally Posted by leigh: Stop making assumptions. I'm one of the gallery validation panel and I have a particular DISLIKE of realistic work. My favourite painter is Turner, and I have a long history of plugging non-realistic work, especially 2D work, on this site. Having said that, I don't judge work according to my personal taste, which is why every day I vote yes on both realistic and non-realistic pieces.

The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant. Instead of accusing the site of style bias, I'd gently suggest you adopt a more self-critical approach to your work.


like the rest of the text in my post.. self critically i said

Nothing sketchy. (like mine).
If I want to participate I need to work up to standard.
If my work is rejected I see exactly why. It doesnt quite fit in.


Whats wrong with that?
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #55
I also like Turner
__________________
Facebook
Website

Last edited by sparra : 11 November 2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: duplicate
 
Old 11 November 2012   #56
sorry if i came across the wrong way. I am pleased to hear that impressionism is welcomed on cgsociety.
__________________
Facebook
Website

Last edited by sparra : 11 November 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: relevance
 
Old 11 November 2012   #57
Originally Posted by leigh: Stop making assumptions. I'm one of the gallery validation panel and I have a particular DISLIKE of realistic work. My favourite painter is Turner, and I have a long history of plugging non-realistic work, especially 2D work, on this site. Having said that, I don't judge work according to my personal taste, which is why every day I vote yes on both realistic and non-realistic pieces.

The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant. Instead of accusing the site of style bias, I'd gently suggest you adopt a more self-critical approach to your work.


Wow awesome, I like you.
Turner is a favourite of mine aswell.



I have a question, how many judges are actually active?




..
 
Old 11 November 2012   #58
Originally Posted by leigh: Stop making assumptions. I'm one of the gallery validation panel and I have a particular DISLIKE of realistic work. My favourite painter is Turner, and I have a long history of plugging non-realistic work, especially 2D work, on this site. Having said that, I don't judge work according to my personal taste, which is why every day I vote yes on both realistic and non-realistic pieces.

The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant. Instead of accusing the site of style bias, I'd gently suggest you adopt a more self-critical approach to your work.


Thank you
from someone else not that much into realizm
 
Old 11 November 2012   #59
workshops

I was thinking of booking some training workshops, and was looking at you for some guidence. Who would be the best person to train me looking at my current standard of work?
__________________
Facebook
Website
 
Old 11 November 2012   #60
Thumbs up

I'm so very new that I didn't even know that you don't accept all submissions in the Showcase Gallery (that's what happens when you don't read all the information available), but this was actually a happy surprise I think. I honestly don't think that any picture I dare try submitting will be accepted, but I'm here to LEARN. Nothing less, nothing more. So I hope at least a few people are active in the WIP forums (where I'll be hanging around the most, when not drooling over the amazing work of some artists here), and I'll try and give some constructive criticism myself.

The reason I like that you don't accept all submissions is because it means a certain standard is kept (someone wrote something about the most recent pictures on DeviantArt, which is a nightmare), and since I'm here to learn, this is a good way for me to measure my, hopeful, improvement. Yes, the system is subjective, but as another said; if the picture is good enough, it'll get accepted anyway. Oooh, listen to me go on about how great this system is. Wait until I've had my first rejections and I'll probably won't be as positive then, I'll bet.

I know plenty of traps my work is going to fall into, and my plan is to stop making those mistakes. I don't aim to become a professional artist, only to become more satisfied with my work (unfortunately, I'll have to get as good as some of the professionals before I'll be satisfied. It's good to have goals, but maybe keeping them realistic would be even better?).

Anyway, thanks for this sticky and for explaining some of the work behind the scenes.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.