The Golden Age of Illustration Project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
I was looking for a bigger version of "His Master's Vice" and came across this site
http://home.earthlink.net/~gnordens...n/Postcards.htm
thought it might be enjoyable for some of you

10 October 2006
I've been trying to locate artists' names for these, but they were really interesting. Murad Turkish Cigarettes. It's amazing the amount of advertising money that came from cigarettes and liquor.

George Petty doing cigarette ads. I knew about Jantzen...who knew cigarettes...heh.

J. James Tissod did many illustrations of religious texts.

Samuel D. Ehrhart did illustrations for Puck magazine.

This last one from one of the masters, Maxfield Parrish, for what I believe was, an illustration for one of the well-known magazines of his day, Scribner's.

Thanks for the postcard site, Alan.

Enjoy!
Cris

Last edited by Cris-Palomino : 10 October 2006 at 09:53 AM.

10 October 2006
Sometimes it's difficult to find the names of the artists to these illustrations. This is a lovely cover from The American Girl, which was the magazine for the Girl Scouts (don't know if it is still published).

Haddon Sundblom is famous for his Coca-Cola Santas...this is one for the military man coming home in 1945.

Will Pogany

Lovely illustration from Woman's Home Companion in 1918...couldn't find the artist, but isn't it a lovely design?

Enjoy!
Cris

10 October 2006
I've been checking out this thread over the last week and I just wanted to say thank you for this awesome collection of artwork.

The Chiparus pieces in particular were amazing!

My Sketchbook

10 October 2006
Uhh, you made a great work starting this 3D ! Is very interesting!
Yes, I love the 1918's pic expecially for the use of blue and lightazure stripes. S/he really knew how light works. Beautiful and subscribed !

10 October 2006
Wink

Hi Cris ( three times now )
Here are the Winsor McKay Images, two of my favorites; I love how he can draw all kinds of animals!! there are animals almost in every page of his book!

Anatomy Thread of jancko

10 October 2006
Tasp, thanks for the sweet words and checking in.

Serena
, grazie! I am really glad you like the art.

Jancko
, muchas gracias. Thank you for putting in some of Winsor McKay's wonderful work. Little Nemo is one of my favorites.

Modern Mechanix was a great magazine from the 30s. It had wildly designed inventions.

Enjoy!
Cris

10 October 2006
janco: "Little Nemo in Slumberland" is so bombs! One of my teachers put me onto it just last week, and I'm totally in love!

BTW, aldog, that's a pretty great site you found- a real nostalgia explosion.

Cris: "Modern Mechanix?" Where are you getting this stuff? Absolutely awesome........

||||||||||||
Sketchbook

10 October 2006
Hi, Mychael. I just love illustration and this long, wonderful span of history is filled with incredible work.

Take Russell Patterson. This is a magazine, likely from the 30s. He had a comic strip called Mamie. In 1920, he studied under Claude Monet for fibe years. I've been trying to find some of his oils from this period.

Fortune Magazine liked very graphics based illustrations.

Another of my favorite Leyendecker covers.

And a wornderful Norman Rockwell cover.

Enjoy!
Cris

10 October 2006
Oh yes Cris... modern mechanics are totally in my world... I love that very good inspiration...

10 October 2006
Weee, you know italian!
Fortune's 1931 cover is incredible. It reminds me Umberto Boccioni's "Forme uniche nella continuitą dello spazio"
expecially for the way he rendered the "ring" and in general, image's planes.

I hope to see new updates soon!
Serena.

10 October 2006
Cris it is very instructive and is fascinating, thanks!

10 October 2006
With so many very inspirational illustrations getting posted in this thread, and little WIP art as of yet...wouldn't this thread be more applicable to the forum for art techniques and theories? It would be a great sticky even.

Art Techniques and Theories Forum
Art techniques, tutorials, theories, art history, inspirations, influences, and legal issues relevant to artists

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
- Goethe

10 October 2006
Hi, Lolo....lovely to see you peek in. Glad you like the Mechanix; I'll post more later.

Hello, Alexander...thank you.

Hi, Tatiana. My intention was to do much more in the WIP department, but have been stretched thin of late. But it has been easy enough for me to put up a few images everyday...all of which are things that are inspiring me. I have a few of my WIPs coming up, but I just got waylayed by some work, including making sure my Painter class materials are done....too many eggs, too little basket.

Cris

10 October 2006
Had found this beauty by McClelland Barclay.

I had been trying to find something I wanted to do in this style. I think this will be it. I want to get back to the Songbird, first. I wish I could work as fast as some of the people I see on these boards, but I can't. This is still in WIP format.

Cris

Thread Closed share thread