Faq

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2010   #1
Faq

Why must entrants be members of CGTalk or CGSociety?

We need to be able to contact all entrants -- we have one registration system. This also means that all competition entrants are covered by the same set of Terms and Conditions.

Do I have to submit an image in the 2560 x 1600 size?

Yes.

What if I want to do a different aspect image?

You can fill it out to 2560 x 1600 with black borders.

Why do entrants have to be 18 or older?

Prizes include travel packages that need to be sent to a person 18 years or older. There are also restrictions on minors entering competitions in some countries, so it’s only fair to apply the same age restriction to the whole world.

Are there any work in progress uploads?

No. This is not like a CGChallenge. There are no work in progress requirements. All you have to do is upload your entry before the deadline of June 30, 2010.

Can NVIDIA use my art for marketing without asking me?

No. NVIDIA can only use your art as part of gallery, wallpaper or other collections of similar images and objects with your full credits attached. If NVIDIA want to use your work in some other way they will have to contact you directly to get your permission.

Do I still own my entry?

Yes. The copyright to your image is yours. The only uses Ballistic and NVIDIA have right to are those outlined in the rules.

Why must entrants grant Ballistic Media and sponsor (NVIDIA) first right to publish their submitted work in any media?

NVIDIA are the sole sponsors of this competition and have requested this to prevent any unscruplus competitor trying to exploit entrants work. We agree that it would not be fair to let some competitor benefit from NVIDIA’s sponsorship of this competition. This is why we agreed to this restriction in running this competition – it’s fair.

What image file size is best?

Try to keep images under 2MB. Compressing them with something other than Photoshop will help, as will using a lower compression setting - there is no need for 100% quality when compressing JPEG files.

Twitter: salmonmoose

Last edited by salmonmoose : 04 April 2010 at 04:51 AM.

Old 04 April 2010   #2
I. Am. So. In.

It mentions "to create vehicle designs for a future on the move ...transport in the style of Syd Mead" does this mean the focus is on the design itself and thus acceptable to present the piece as concept art?

What I have in mind, in keeping the Mead influence, is how he has a graphic way of presenting his finished concept/marker drawings that's really dynamic. Can we use that technique instead of doing a 3D render/polished photoshop painting? I'd still keep it digital, but go for that look.

cheers!

Old 04 April 2010   #3
Hi SciFibrow,

That would be perfectly acceptable. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Cheers, Mike

Old 04 April 2010   #4
Thanks Mike.

Great!

Old 04 April 2010   #5
Smile

WELL..this will be fun.CARS + FUTURE + SYD MEAD STYLE = OHH YAHH THIS WILL BE FUN..I'M IN..

Old 04 April 2010   #6
Post wOw!

this is really amazing! ... may i ask ..
is it allowed to use car brands in concept design? .. e.g. honda .. toyota ....etc

thanks =)

Old 04 April 2010   #7
Sorry about the silly question but is it allowed to use Softimage Modtool or any other software like it (non commercial licenses) or would it be a no go for legal reasons?

Old 04 April 2010   #8
Syd Mead is one of my most influential artists. Admittedly I've never really worked in his style before. However, I am going to do my best for this! Time to start practicing my chrome effects it seems!

Old 04 April 2010   #9
in the rules states that
6. Multiple entries are permitted.

Does this mean we can submit 2(or more) designs of different cars, or multiple views of the same car.

Old 04 April 2010   #10
Just to clarify... the vehicle is a Syd Mead style vehicle, not necessarily rendered in the Syd Mead style? I just want to make sure this isn't a Syd Mead ripoff contest.

Old 04 April 2010   #11
Designs need to be your own - if they look like a current brand of vehicle that wont get you in trouble, but it wont win points with the judges either.

Syd Meads style is about both the design aspect and the rendered look -- looking futuristic is key.-- Based on user feedback the previous NVArt competition was the best competition (SUREAL - In the Style of Jacek Yerka) we have ever run from the users experience -- I personally received more positive feedback from entrants to that competition than for anything else we have ever done. That, ans the fact that Syd is a living legend are the reasons that contributed to selecting this competition theme.

You aren't restricted to just cars. Syd is famous for his ship and plane designs as well... you are free to dream up any sort of transportation you like. Just make it as futuristic as you can in the style of Syd.

cheers

mark.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Last edited by MarkSnoswell : 04 April 2010 at 09:45 PM.

Old 04 April 2010   #12
I'm not sure what a "Syd Mead ripoff contest" is, but I am seeking some clarifications on the rules.

Does "In the Syd Mead style" mean we are to come up with entirely original designs of transport vehicles (which I assume to mean any type of vehicle, including but not limited to: cars, trains, planes, spaceships, etc.) based on the style of his designs, or the style of his renderings?

Also, the rules mention ownership of a "model", which implies that only 3D models/renders are allowed to be entered, correct?

EDIT: Okay, Mark just answered one of my questions.

Old 04 April 2010   #13
Originally Posted by Artbot: I'm not sure what a "Syd Mead ripoff contest" is, but I am seeking some clarifications on the rules.

Does "In the Syd Mead style" mean we are to come up with entirely original designs of transport vehicles (which I assume to mean any type of vehicle, including but not limited to: cars, trains, planes, spaceships, etc.) based on the style of his designs, or the style of his renderings?

Also, the rules mention ownership of a "model", which implies that only 3D models/renders are allowed to be entered, correct?

EDIT: Okay, Mark just answered one of my questions.

Most entries will be illustrations - you are free to use any method you want - 2D or 3D.

You are right -- you can come up with any mode of transport you like.

I amended my past post to explain further -- In the Style of Syd Mead means that you should strive to re-create the essence of the futuristic look Syd is a master of. This includes design and execution (look).

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Old 04 April 2010   #14
The "Syd Mead rip off contest" was probably a poor choice of words on my part. Thanks for the clarification though. A very tough challenge indeed.

Old 04 April 2010   #15
Bizarrely hoping I am not too busy so I get a chance to enter this one!

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Thread Closed share thread