Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2010   #46
out of my system

Hi, i have a doubt, and i just wanna to take it out of my system, i think this was partially answered before, but i will make the full question because maybe other members are having the same doubt too.

The B-movie topic, takes inside the full range of cinema history, even for present day B-movies, not just 50`s 60`s movies. Is this correct?.

Last edited by mirrored : 01 January 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Old 01 January 2010   #47
Originally Posted by igorsandman:
2. In the case of a live action film with a whole crew working on it, is it considered a team entry or is it still individual. I'm assuming it's considered an individual entry since I'm the director and the only one taking decisions for the final look of the film and for the technical aspect. But if it is considered a team entry do they all have to register on the boards, actors, crew and all or credits is enough?
Thanks
-IS-

So you will be directing and taking decisions about the look and tech stuff, but who will work on the CG content, posproduction, editing? Will you do it yourself or will you have a bunch of artists working for you? Individual entry means an entry done by "only one visual artist", right?

Old 01 January 2010   #48
Joining the competition error?

I've tried joining both the individual image and video categories several times (both while logged in and not), and it keeps telling me my password is wrong. I know I've spelt it correctly because I am able to log into the forums. Not sure if it's related -- I can only log into the forums through the login boxes below the banners, not the one in the top right of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam

Last edited by AdamTSC : 01 January 2010 at 02:36 AM.

Old 01 January 2010   #49
Originally Posted by mirrored: Hi, i have a doubt, and i just wanna to take it out of my system, i think this was partially answered before, but i will make the full question because maybe other members are having the same doubt too.

The B-movie topic, takes inside the full range of cinema history, even for present day B-movies, not just 50`s 60`s movies. Is this correct?.

Absolutely, you'll notice in the inspiration section we linked to "Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus" which saw release in 2009

Twitter: salmonmoose

Old 01 January 2010   #50
Originally Posted by AdamTSC: I've tried joining both the individual image and video categories several times (both while logged in and not), and it keeps telling me my password is wrong. I know I've spelt it correctly because I am able to log into the forums. Not sure if it's related -- I can only log into the forums through the login boxes below the banners, not the one in the top right of the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam

Without revealing your password - are there any non alpha-numeric characters in it?

I've got a '^' in mine, but that's working ok.

If you can change passwords, that may help, your username seems normal enough.

Old 01 January 2010   #51
Music and Sound FX

Hi there, this sounds silly as i type this, but for individual video, i'm wondering if we have to create our own sound fx and music? Are we allowed to borrow scores and sound fx from old b movies as long as they are credited?

Old 01 January 2010   #52
During the contest is it possible to upload WIP videos in youtube or vimeo?

Old 01 January 2010   #53
Originally Posted by salmonmoose: Let me get back to you on that one, my feeling is "no" as we'd effectively be the ones doing the advertising - but others may not have a problem - don't ask yet

Thanks for your fast reply. I understand your position hence my question ;-) I'm waiting for your final answer.
Thanks
-IS-

Old 01 January 2010   #54
Hi, I just want to make sure: We're allowed to redesign, make art inspired by already existing B-movies or create our own concept, as long as it looks and feels suitable to the theme. Is this correct?
Thank you

My Artstation

Old 01 January 2010   #55
;)

thanks Salmonmoose.

Old 01 January 2010   #56
ok i have a question. lets say i found an old b-movie is it ok to create a new big budget, high quality, latest graphics style version of it.

Old 01 January 2010   #57
Ok, its fine to do a movie-poster with a splatter-monster eating the starsandstripes or something.

Questions:
How important is the "movie" aspect ... is it better to make it as a poster, or is it no problem to show a non-movie scene like in any CG-challenge?

How important is the B-Movie in aspects of quality?
Can a high quality rendering miss the charm of a low-budget production?
Is an idea weaker, because its not that idiotic? I.e. a scene of a doctor creating a frankenstein-monster.
How much "trash" is necessary? (i.e. a doctor creating a big-banana-monster)
Is a movie like ResidentEvil enough B-Movie because there are zombies?
How important is "B"-movie or is it more to define the setting of all those different unnatural-mutated monsters.

Do you go for trash or for real horror?

Old 01 January 2010   #58
Originally Posted by Duracel: Ok, its fine to do a movie-poster with a splatter-monster eating the starsandstripes or something.

Yes - although, I'm paranoid someone will take that the wrong way

Originally Posted by Duracel: How important is the "movie" aspect ... is it better to make it as a poster, or is it no problem to show a non-movie scene like in any CG-challenge?

A poster is kind of the easy way out - showing a scene from a movie that tells a story, or even removing it a step further will work in your favor for anyone who has just looked at 50 posters.

Originally Posted by Duracel: How important is the B-Movie in aspects of quality?

The challenge title is 'B-Movie' Whilst I encourage people to push the boundaries of what that means, if we have no idea how your image is relevant it's not going to do very well

Originally Posted by Duracel: Can a high quality rendering miss the charm of a low-budget production?

We're still going to be judging on skill and technique, the goal here is to use replicate the look and feel of B-Movies with the typically high standard of output that comes from CGChallenges.

Originally Posted by Duracel: Is an idea weaker, because its not that idiotic? I.e. a scene of a doctor creating a frankenstein-monster.

Not at all - there are some b-movies based around really good ideas, that were poorly executed, or had tight budget requirements.

Originally Posted by Duracel: How much "trash" is necessary? (i.e. a doctor creating a big-banana-monster)

None

Originally Posted by Duracel: Is a movie like ResidentEvil enough B-Movie because there are zombies?

I would say a movie like ResidentEvil is b-movie because of how horribly it is executed, but some people may have enjoyed it

Originally Posted by Duracel: How important is "B"-movie or is it more to define the setting of all those different unnatural-mutated monsters.

B-Movies don't have to be monster films - I'd love to see someone do a bollywood film which would easily fall into this category, other than that, there's certainly b-movie fantasy films, and no doubt some very b-movie period pieces. If you stand out from the crowd, it's only going to do you favors.

Old 01 January 2010   #59
Originally Posted by Pegahoul: Hi, I just want to make sure: We're allowed to redesign, make art inspired by already existing B-movies or create our own concept, as long as it looks and feels suitable to the theme. Is this correct?
Thank you

Yes, just don't replicate stuff frame by frame.

Old 01 January 2010   #60
Originally Posted by shihar: ok i have a question. lets say i found an old b-movie is it ok to create a new big budget, high quality, latest graphics style version of it.

Wouldn't be much of a b-movie then would it? We're looking for tacky, if you're going to use cutting edge techniques, use them to represent more primitive ones

reply share thread