Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by salmonmoose: Keep in mind this is a "CG" Challenge, photos are fine, but if the image is not significantly "CG" you're not likely to win any prizes

It's more fun painting anyway. (P.S- How could you tell it wasn't a photo?

01 January 2010
I read in the rules that we couldn't have a political theme. What if my idea is more satirical, sort of making fun of politics rather than trying to promote a specific agenda. For example, I had this really cool idea and I want to ask before I get started on it and not be eligible to compete. Anyway my idea is to illustrate a scene where you see these Gigantic Godzilla like figures of George W. Bush, Barrak H. Obama, Bill Clinton, and Daddy Bush shooting fire out of their mouths, burning Washington DC to ashes. Do you think I would be good, or will I be instantly disqualified?

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by G-FLUX: I read in the rules that we couldn't have a political theme. What if my idea is more satirical, sort of making fun of politics rather than trying to promote a specific agenda. For example, I had this really cool idea and I want to ask before I get started on it and not be eligible to compete. Anyway my idea is to illustrate a scene where you see these Gigantic Godzilla like figures of George W. Bush, Barrak H. Obama, Bill Clinton, and Daddy Bush shooting fire out of their mouths, burning Washington DC to ashes. Do you think I would be good, or will I be instantly disqualified?

Disquilified or not I wouldn't recommend going with such idea. It's too cliché, if you know what I mean. But that's my personal opinion, what do I know.

01 January 2010
Usually by the time I do get an original idea, the contest is already over? Lol I figure I would spend most of my time rendering it rather than wasting a lot of time racking my brain trying to come up with what I think is original. Now that I think about it though I'm probably going to stay away from political figures all together. Too divisive, and I have a feeling that I would probably be instantly disqualified. LOL

01 January 2010
I have two ideas, but can be done

Hi, i have a couple of good ideas, for the same movie, 1982 John Carpenter`s remake THE THING, here are my questions.

- If i want to do a video entry, may i complete a sequence for the movie (cut creature shots, originals were done in stop motion, but finally were cut from the final film) and mix the final product with the original movie shots and the ones i created?. The final entry will be less than 1 minute of the original movie footage and the completed shots by me. right issues?

- If i want to do a Image entry, may i take an unused storyboard shot and reimagine it, basically take the cut storyboard shot and build it from the ground up in 3d designing all that needs to be designed (because is a quick storyboard shot, but can make an awesome image with the right amount of work).

- THE THING is a B-movie, as much i wont like to call it a B-movie, cause is my favorite, but is this particular movie allowed? or 1986 David Cronenberg´s THE FLY?.

cheers,

Mirrored.

Last edited by mirrored : 01 January 2010 at 03:40 AM.

01 January 2010
Hi,

I was wondering. Would it be okay to use a concept from a movie I've written myself, and already done a couple of versions of the design for? If so, can the one or two original versions of the design be posted as reference pics from the b-movie as part of the making of? It will definitely be developed much further, as they were fairly simple drawings with little surface detail and the final image will be a detailed action shot/painting.

I think the film would be considered B-movie material (has a very simple plot: hero, crazy alien world, rampaging monsters, save the world scenario etc).

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by G-FLUX: I read in the rules that we couldn't have a political theme. What if my idea is more satirical, sort of making fun of politics rather than trying to promote a specific agenda. For example, I had this really cool idea and I want to ask before I get started on it and not be eligible to compete. Anyway my idea is to illustrate a scene where you see these Gigantic Godzilla like figures of George W. Bush, Barrak H. Obama, Bill Clinton, and Daddy Bush shooting fire out of their mouths, burning Washington DC to ashes. Do you think I would be good, or will I be instantly disqualified?

I would suggest you use indistinct people who are obviously representative of politicians - keep in mind that if you (a you suggest here) pick on specifically US politics (or anywhere else) that could also offend some groups.

Twitter: salmonmoose

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by mirrored: If i want to do a video entry, may i complete a sequence for the movie (cut creature shots, originals were done in stop motion, but finally were cut from the final film) and mix the final product with the original movie shots and the ones i created?. The final entry will be less than 1 minute of the original movie footage and the completed shots by me. right issues?

There's obviously some IP issues here, and although it may well fall under "fair use" you're not going to win many points for originality if it's a shot for shot remake.

Originally Posted by mirrored: If i want to do a Image entry, may i take an unused storyboard shot and reimagine it, basically take the cut storyboard shot and build it from the ground up in 3d designing all that needs to be designed (because is a quick storyboard shot, but can make an awesome image with the right amount of work).

That's fine.

Originally Posted by mirrored: THE THING is a B-movie, as much i wont like to call it a B-movie, cause is my favorite, but is this particular movie allowed? or 1986 David Cronenberg´s THE FLY?.

We'd prefer you made up your own concept, even if it's influenced by these films.

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Hi,

I was wondering. Would it be okay to use a concept from a movie I've written myself, and already done a couple of versions of the design for? If so, can the one or two original versions of the design be posted as reference pics from the b-movie as part of the making of? It will definitely be developed much further, as they were fairly simple drawings with little surface detail and the final image will be a detailed action shot/painting.

I think the film would be considered B-movie material (has a very simple plot: hero, crazy alien world, rampaging monsters, save the world scenario etc).

Sounds good to me, why aren't you done yet?

01 January 2010
Thanks

Thanks Salmonmoose, i understand. Yeah, maybe the inspiration is the best way to go, not rebuild the direct material you are trying to homage.

Thanks again.

Last edited by mirrored : 01 January 2010 at 04:12 AM.

01 January 2010
do i have to use some external image hosting services to upload images to my thread?

01 January 2010
Originally Posted by RAzeem: do i have to use some external image hosting services to upload images to my thread?

No, use the submit entry page, we host images for you (unless you want to make posts with more than one image).

01 January 2010
thanks for the quick reply

01 January 2010
Would it be possible to crop or reposition that huge Stahlberg picture that is on the challenge's front page? It's a fine picture and all but it prevents me from passing it on to co-workers and to upload WIP entries during lunch. Okay, it doesn't prevent me, but it's awkward to have such a crotch-centric image on my screen. I'm sure others have a similar issue. Just a thought.

01 January 2010
same here!
agree!

reply share thread