Character: Skater Animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003

So many comments already - but couldnīt help to add another one:

simply fantastic, thats one of the best pieces of animation I have seen in a while

great camera, brilliant movements - just WOW...

06 June 2003
u got it - nice style - nice movement and a bad ass cam -

06 June 2003
Wow! this is really an honor. I had no idea people would like it so much. The response has been overwhelming. Thanks everybody.
-Robert

m_greenwood: The truth is did a little of both. for some parts i felt like it was easier to do pose to pose and for others it made sense to just straight ahead it and set a big mess of keyframes. it was a big learning experience for me.

samartin: i figured you did. i still wish i had my own mocap studio.

BnE: i agree about some parts lacking conteraction. im always trying to improve my wieght and overlap. reguarding the passes, you are right. the third one is my mental ray final gather pass that gives me the shadows. I slap that ontop of the color pass(1st image) with a multiply function, and the image at the bottom
is the pass i uses to highten the sunshine by using the color dodge function in my compositing program.

Pixalkiller: he does have his mouth open at times however very briefly.

jjmonore: Nothing gets by you guys.

barrywhittleuk: mcrobertintosh@hotmail.com

06 June 2003
hi barry here again

what software did u use to create your work and are you currently looking for work and is so where to

cheers

06 June 2003
barrywhittleuk; I used maya, photoshop, and after effects. Yes, i am currently looking for work. I need to finish my reel first but i would really like to move to san fransisco and work at any one of the great studios out there like ILM, Pixar, or Giant. But thats kind of a pipedream for someone whis trying to break into the indusrty

06 June 2003
That was wicked cool, man.
Don't rush it, but fork over the reel!
Need more!

spaceJASE

06 June 2003
Man, I am so glad you finished that work. I was so excited about seeing it when you presented it at the show as a WIP. It's good to see it with some finished renders!! As Always great animation!!! Good luck with the reel and job offers!!!

Mark

06 June 2003
hi m8 just looking again at your work it looks like youve used an actual skateboarding film as footage but it is good try and get much more weight into the arms

06 June 2003
Very soft camera movements

06 June 2003
wipeouts

Can't wait to see the painfull wipeout shots... ala bluetorch and real-TV that would really get attention!

06 June 2003
hehe, gonna watch it a few more times to grab all of the tricks, but that vid is dope!! I love the manual shove-it shit. great stuff. gimme more.

06 June 2003
****ing Great!

Man.. All your giving us is that one little clip!? Show more show more!

06 June 2003
i am a skater, and i must tell you.. great session man.!
you rad.

06 June 2003
very impressive, no job... thats a pitty. if i had any crit the only thing i can think of is the bottom of the board could be destaturated... but still a beautiful piece, can't wait for the reel. good luck.

06 June 2003
After watching your animation several hundred times, I've gotta say its unbelievable true to life movements. I do have one comment after watching it many many times over and over, I see some popping of joints in the legs from time to time during the movements. Also some semi harsh folds near the knee joints. I'm sure your still polishing everything up at this point, but just thought I've give my critique.

Other than that.......Great stuff man!!!

share thread