Still life: Waterlily (Chinese painting style with Maya)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2002
i love the style.
great fly around.
are you going to animate anything in it, like the dragonfly?

09 September 2002
Great stuff, I totally love NPR stuff and this was a top example. I have only one teeny crit - the little fly past gif looked too solid, which betrayed its CG origin.

It would be cool to get it to "boil" a little - change the line width, brush size as it rotates so it looks more like an animated painting (dunno, just my opinion, this may not be what you were going for).

Lovely work!

09 September 2002
Wow, Thank you all guys.
geoffr, Thank you love this style, i am makeing a short clip with this style, something like the leave will wave with wind, dragonfly flys and animate the camrea.
Raymonkey Thank you for your advises, i agree with you about thoes petals should feels softer, i will ajust it.

i just ajusted dragonfly's look also, because it feels too 3D maybe, Well, i post up more one image, please tell me how your feeling is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (44.2 KB, 1475 views)

Last edited by facial : 09 September 2002 at 02:45 PM.

09 September 2002
Looking nice, although the eyes are still a little toony - maybe remove the pupil. Definitely less 3d though.

I have found a couple of examples of "boiling" for you to look at:

Unnofficial Roobarb and Custard Shrine

The image shimmers every frame because each drawing is slighlty different from the next (I hope that makes sense).

Also the short film "Fishing" by PDI does it:

Fishing

This is a little small, but it wobbles as if it was painted on watercolour paper.

Also related, but not quite the same style is the Lambchop video produced by Shynola, which you can grab here:

Is a woman

Which I think is great (Although the mov is a little small)

Keep up the good work!

09 September 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Raymonkey
Looking nice, although the eyes are still a little toony - maybe remove the pupil. Definitely less 3d though.

I have found a couple of examples of "boiling" for you to look at:

Unnofficial Roobarb and Custard Shrine

The image shimmers every frame because each drawing is slighlty different from the next (I hope that makes sense).

Also the short film "Fishing" by PDI does it:

Fishing

This is a little small, but it wobbles as if it was painted on watercolour paper.

Also related, but not quite the same style is the Lambchop video produced by Shynola, which you can grab here:

Is a woman

Which I think is great (Although the mov is a little small)

Keep up the good work!

Realy thank you for your information, It will help me a lot. Well, i heard "fishing" clip from PDI some mouthes before. i am glad to see it here, i realy love this clip, yeah it so small.
Thank you, i will keep doing. i will post up when i finish to fix it. please keep give me advices.

09 September 2002
hoi

it seems nice but i ma curious now ow u did it, pls share some info about it

09 September 2002
Waterlily

Nice.

I don't know your intentions for the final render, so this is only directed towards the sample. I'm guessing you just wanted to display the 3d nature of the effect with a turnaroung, but in the final render, something this beautiful, and it is, needs to have a very soft attitude. If you're using the piece in a Demo Reel or something, I suggest maybe a Moving Hold for the beginning showing hardly any movement at all. Animate the flowers as usual but only give a slight camera rotation fixed on the flower to enhance the illusion of space.

Lastly, perhaps the timing of the animation could mimick the nature of chinese ink. i.e. Heavily use of a combination of 3D and 2D Motion Blur and a Motion-Ghosting effect on everything in the scene to simulate ink-bleeding.

Was that Maya's standard renderer BTW?

09 September 2002
wat a creativity work and good idea, share more with us

09 September 2002
Thax

Gonzo The Great
I am makeing a formal clip with this style, i agree with your idea about how to animate these things.
2D Motion Blur and a Motion-Ghosting is great for express ink feeling, i agree with you. Well, yes, i render it with Maya's standard renderer. and i knew few rendering technic things also.
i will be patience, thank you read my mind. thanx a lot

09 September 2002
very nice

Very strange, but it really seems to be a paint...

09 September 2002
Hey buddy, it's me-outman at the chinaDV!
GREAT WORK!
i promised give 5 stars for u and here it is!

share thread