Hunt Gallery (or The Scarecrow) - My entry for 3D Awards 2004

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Hang in there Antropus. The world is nearly cured of it's sickness. Through music and film The world is becoming one minded. Art and music will bring us all together. Blacks is my color not my heart. Just continue to make great art!!

03 March 2004
Those details are awesome... great great wor...!!!!

03 March 2004
I'm very happy for two things:
a lot of people have appreciated this image in the absolutely right way, as ARTISTIC PIECE. But I'm very happy too because I get an unexpected feedback, about the racism subject. I think the contemporary art (which includes CG art IMO...) has the obligation to make people think about social questions. Even without this intention, my work made people think about the "racism" issue and for that my work reached something much bigger than I waited. Is not this the function of CG as ART FORM? Making people think BESIDES the image instead of simply observe an image passively? Maybe I have gotten an approach of my work in CG with the proposals of the contemporary art and maybe for that, my work today (as student of fine arts, last period) is more complete thanks to their observations.

But...
independent of this subjects, I truly noticed some racist comments here in this post. But can just be my personal perception, as well as some they might have noticed this from my part, thing that didn't exist

Thank you for the wonderful and unexpected feedback. The ART thank you A LOT

03 March 2004
Something to keep in mind...

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on
Don't let yourself go, 'cause everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along
When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on

'Cause everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes
And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on
Hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on
Everybody hurts. You are not alone

man of the west, the Númenórean (Sindarin, compound noun) dûn + adan

03 March 2004
Antropus, very nice work as many others have said. I've been following this guy for awhile now and cant wait to see the final animated short.

I dont think you intended to make this image racially motivated, and your comments back that up.

However, it was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the image. I'm not suggesting you change the image, thats totally up to you. Just be prepared for negative reactions from people, beacause there will be many.

Thanks for the detail shot of the vieneey leg

Portfolio

03 March 2004
Great job

03 March 2004
hey Antropus, great work man. the modeling, texturing, and lighting just amazing. I even saw the little animation you made with the head a while back. Really good.

On the other hand, a white lady killing black men and then putting their heads up for display will not go well with everyone, and will even be offensive. I think it is too much of coincidence that all the plumbers were black. From what you've written i get that it wasn't your intention but you will not have the luxury to explain yourself every time your image is shown. Some of us might get caught up on the technical merits of your work (because this is what we all have in common) and miss the subject matter, but when an "everyday" person sees this you will get a very different reaction. I would strongly suggest that you revise your work.

03 March 2004
--------------------------------------------------------
removed by the artist
--------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Antropus : 03 March 2004 at 10:19 PM.

03 March 2004
Originally Posted by grafikdon: If the reverse was the case, believe me it wouldn't be any different.

Yeah youre right, it would be WAY more popular! Hehe, beleive me.

Lol antropus, hilarious new alien hunter image =) But something caught my attention. I see the aliens all have african american characteristics. Are you being racist?! You beleive black people to be deformed looking aliens?! Hehe im just playing, but dont think it wouldnt be thought of like that I love both versions and it wasnt poor judgement on your part. You created an honestly unbiased and amazing peice of art in a realistic and unracist manner.

03 March 2004
amazing work nice textures , good idea , grandma is very good and same fulsome

AlternativA
adventure game (Lead 3d/2d)
HARDCORE MODELING!: 80's Cartoon
MY WIP on CGTALK

03 March 2004
Hey Antropus I can certainly relate. In Highschool I did a picture that was a parody of a drawing one of my friends drew of himself. His drawing was of his head on a dog's body. Later I duplicated the image and drew myself into the picture holding him on a leash. The next day I came in and found out my teacher loved it so much he put it in the display case at school. The students all saw me, a black male, holding my friend, a white male portrayed as a dog, on a leash. As innocent as it was people took it as a very aggresive statement and I must admit I would have taken it the same way If I didn't know the backstory behind the image. Long story short they took the picture out and I got to explain what the image was about in the paper. I didn't fight to keep it in there and I was actually relieved because I didn't want that image representing me as a person. If I had a choice I would never had let my teacher put that picture in there.
As for your image I have no problem with it personally and like everyone else I think it's really damn good (especially the animations I've seen of the plumber ).When it comes down to it though people will see an image of a white women holding a gun with black men mounted up on a wall and you might not be there to explain it's supposed to be comical.

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Antropus
ok ok guys... I made another version called "The Martians Hunter" ... better?

ps.: no Martian was hurt or molested in the development of this image

Nice!!! Funny stuff man.

03 March 2004
awesome work. I love it. In response to the racism factor, I think that people are overtly sensitive. If it were a black man with a bunch of white women's heads up there, I don't think that the response would be the same. I could be completely wrong, but that is my feeling... call it educated intution.

P.S. I am doubting that anyone will agree with this, but I think that the concept of racism is rather comedic. The idea that someone would dislike someone else because of a physical attribute is silly. Dislike people for the right reasons, such as actions. What's next... people with hazel eyes strapped to the whipping post?

Last edited by sizzlebits : 03 March 2004 at 07:23 AM.

03 March 2004
el_shadow wrote:
Quote: if you're a white skinned person, then, you (racists) may......

Lmao, way to be subtle about it =)

03 March 2004
(i wanted to fill it with these)

martians ha ha ha!! AAmmAAzzing

what i can't help but say is how stuffed brain people are, i am scarred by the thoughts of people... i some time think people who let the innocent child die inside them are the ones who drift to thoughts such as racism........

"please i wanna be friends with that same funny innocent child inside u because inside i am still that .. "

share thread