Hunt Gallery (or The Scarecrow) - My entry for 3D Awards 2004

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2004
Characters: Hunt Gallery (or The Scarecrow)

Hello again.

My entry for 3D Awards 2004

Not much to say. This is my attempt to 3D Awards 2004 (unpublished work).
- Maya for modelling and render (default render)
- All textures hand painted in photoshop.
- I've used an additional pass for final composite: Dirtmap shader for ambient occlusion in Mental Ray.
- Original size: 2594x3800 px

Yeah, I think I have not much chance but I'll try

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by the autor
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I admit to be quite disappointed with some artists sometimes and, as artist and creator, in a certain way embarrassed by some comments I read here.
But for not hurting the feelings of the people that understood this image in a wrong way, I talked with the plumbers and them, also very sad, left a message before leaving

I hope this post can serve as a great experience. Even in the year 2004, we can find this type of mentality. But I know... we are all guilty. I think this forum is an AWESOME CG ARTISTIC COMMUNITY, IMO. For the respect that I have for you as ARTISTS, black, white, yellow etc and mainly for the respect that I have for this great community, I've edited my image.

Sorry if I've offended somebody but, I repeat, WITHOUT ANY INTENTION. Be happy, open your minds and respect your human brothers

Best regards,
Krishnamurti M. Costa
CG Artist

Last edited by Antropus : 03 March 2004 at 10:16 PM.

03 March 2004
Another closes:

Last edited by Antropus : 03 March 2004 at 10:22 PM.

03 March 2004
dude, you rock !!
(yeah, first one :P )

03 March 2004
Awesome, I love that guy!

But uhh... a old white woman with a bunch of Trophy heads of a black man... That either some rough Jungle Fever or she's been hunting negros... Being black myself but having seen your facial animation with this character I can't help but not take it seriously... but stilll.... I noticed..

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

03 March 2004
retrop,
Thanks

3d43Jesse,
oh buddy... my movie is not serious and she don't hunt black people, just Plumbers As my Plumber character is black and he is in trouble in the hands of this old lady, I made this scene just as a teaser for my movie and my entry in 3D Awards at the same time. No racism from my part, just a comic scene, believe me.

Thanks for your comment

03 March 2004
Great Work! i hope to see your picture at 3d award 2004

03 March 2004
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HOPE YOU WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man of the west, the Númenórean (Sindarin, compound noun) dûn + adan

03 March 2004
Quote: Originally posted by 3d43Jesse
Awesome, I love that guy!

But uhh... a old white woman with a bunch of Trophy heads of a black man... That either some rough Jungle Fever or she's been hunting negros... Being black myself but having seen your facial animation with this character I can't help but not take it seriously... but stilll.... I noticed..

i thought the same thing.. awsome job..but a white lady holding a big gun with several black mens heads on the wall...wow..you may not mean to send a strong message.. but your gonna end up sending that message whether u mean to or not...i guess we can only wait to see what you come up with.. but id becareful... skating on some pretty thin ice... but based on render quality and modeling awesome job.

shiver nasty veins...shiver

03 March 2004
dunadan,
thanks for your words!

XxBrianxX,
The only strong message that I see in this image is the doubt on who is alive or dead. Judging by the straw that springs from some parts of the old, I believe that the "white" old lady is the only "stuffed animal" in this gallery. The plumbers seem to be very alive and happy, don't you think?

Come on guys, this is a comic image done with fictitious characters. If I turned the old lady black and the plumbers white this subject would be resolved? Think about that.
I think CG is not the right place for racism. Is the right place for art and creativity, much nobler things.

I don't like any type of racism, even of those that seek the racism where it doesn't exist. The human being is only one, woman, man, black, white, yellow, purple... so, please, be not racists with my work or with another human beings, real or cartoon

03 March 2004
very funny idea. I like it. I could just see some old lady walking down the hall of a grungy old building with a rifle grunting at me. Hehe very funny. Good luck.

03 March 2004
Good work as usual antropus! the characters are great and I don't believe that the skin color is going to be a problem, that is most likely going to fade away once you set the background of each character more clearly in your short.
Although I think you have a compositing issue in the image, Looks like the old lady is not interacting at all with the plumber, and I don't know if it's just me but the wall color kinda helps separating everything, maybe looking at another camera angle and changing the color of the wall would help, anyway i hope that you know what i mean.

Great Job again!

03 March 2004
musicraker,
yeah! A great scene you imagined man! hehehehe
Thanks

abonora,
a good point man! I've tried another colors before and don't find better solution than this neutral one
When I tried to make the wall darker, the image becomes a bit confuse and heavy, but feel free for some paint overs. I'll appreciate any contribution
I have another issue: the wood of the weapon over the wood of the chair. Any tips? Paint over?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Antropus : 03 March 2004 at 06:53 AM.

03 March 2004
musicraker,
yeah! A great scene you imagined man! hehehehe
Thanks

abonora,
a good point man! I've tried another colors before and don't find better solution than this neutral one
When I tried to make the wall darker, the image becomes a bit confuse and heavy, but feel free for some paint overs. I'll appreciate any contribution
I have another issue: the wood of the weapon over the wood of the chair. Any tips? Paint over?

Thanks again.

obs.: please moderators, delete the duplicated post above. Thanks

Last edited by Antropus : 03 March 2004 at 06:53 AM.

03 March 2004
those legs freak me out! and whats even worse are those spiney things poking out of her! omg!
great detail though

03 March 2004
Hey,

tell me what else then taking a breath and falling backwards into the chair we can do here. That´s a level of quality and very good skills I cant say more about then, WOW!

STEN

share thread