Large Sci-Fi animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2002
Thumbs down

Hey Howard just seen it.

First Great Server (FAST).

I just wanted to say GREAT JOB. Yeah there is alot of Space scenes but I feel that the bar is raised so high on them now because we see them so much and the movie industry have definately set a standard and it gets better all the time. So Creating a space scene that holds ones a attention these days is good.

I like your glows(ie engines, sparks and lasers) .

The Particles of enterin the atmosphere from the space view and planet view I like alot.

Ship Design was good.

Photorealistic is what we all are after Even though your Jungle doesn't look 100% realistic it looks Great and it has an artistic style I like about it.

The animation suffered a littlewhen the enemy ship turned in the canyon I felt it moved unrealisticly (or maybe the technology lends itself to do that I don't know the the technology of your ship)

I Like it VERY Much.

Keep up the Good work. You have great potentail.

Black-Ant

01 January 2002
Its nice, and the jungle is cirtenly unique - which gives you an edge. Oh and some music that suits the theme should help it.

Congrats - and remember that Puggle Bra is coming!

ACM | SIGGRAPH Student Chapter of The Art Institute of California - San Francisco

Personal Website

01 January 2002
The special effects are very good for max !!! Very good.. i'm wondering how u made the ship appear behind the other 2. with a raytrace bubble or something????

And the green explosions, where those already planted as particle systems in the mountains or not?

[edit]
Could u awnser these questions please?? If not in public maybe private msg?

Thnx!
[/edit]

Cyborg Check it out

Last edited by Error323 : 01 January 2002 at 07:37 AM.

01 January 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Staffan Norling
You guy's whine too much....You knew that my buddy Howard Day have been using Max for a few mounths only??

nobody whines here it's all just critique (and not only bad critique) which can only be good for a movie I think.

01 January 2002
Thanks all for the comments! I really appreciate you guys taking the time to do so.
Anyhow, sorry I haven't been around much - really busy with some freelance work.

urgaffel: About 7 years. I started out with PovRay.

Error323: The ship's de-cloaking sequence was pretty easy, actually. You're right - it is a sphere with a raytrace material applied to it. Allbeit at a low resolution, and high blur.

As for the exploding bolts, those were not allready planted in the canyonside. Everytime the fighters fired, they fired *two* bolts - one that you saw, and the other that was smaller and blossomed into an explosion on contact with the wall. I used particle spawns to achive this. The main bolt died on impact. Quite simple, really.

JoBbE: Don't beat up on Staffan. He's quite a talented artist by his own rights. He's just a little protective (like the rest of the SciFi-Arts crew), that's all. Love them for it.

01 January 2002
Your the man!

Cyborg Check it out

01 January 2002
How did u let it explode on the wall then??? (sorry for the questions but i just think it's very nice done) With deflectors ??? or do u have something to let it explode on mesh objects... or did u just time it right??

:: Error

Cyborg Check it out

01 January 2002
Hi there,

Couldn´t watch the film - my server here at home is soooo sloooow.....

...but I visited your page, and the stills are great!

Beautiful images and ship design - and I also loved the color choice on the scenes.

Good work!!

01 January 2002
Thumbs down

I have to say that this is an awesome animation.. Nice concept, and like the other members have said i can't wait to see what you can do later on... Keep up the EXCELLENT work... great explosions for using max also

01 January 2002
Hi Howard, sorry I didn't reply to your question before ...., when I say it doesn't look really realistic I'm talking about the environment the trees the ground , I think it looks more like game stuff, wich is not bad, but when the camera gets further it get's better (more realistic).... good work

ciao

01 January 2002
personally, i don't think there will ever be enough images or movies of stuff going on in space until i go there myself. i really enjoyed the transition from the space dog fight to the planet dog fight. nice! unfortunately my machine can't quite handle the parts with lots going on like the atmospheric burn up and some of the explosions.

do you have a smaller version of this animation? i would really appreciate it.

01 January 2002
Quote: Originally posted by Howard Day
JoBbE: Don't beat up on Staffan. He's quite a talented artist by his own rights. He's just a little protective (like the rest of the SciFi-Arts crew), that's all. Love them for it.

well, ok

01 January 2002
I just want to confirm that I really like the little movie. And just as a bunch of other guys in here, after playing with max for a year, I'm not near your work.... Yet!

Keep it up, I guess you posted the movie to know what parts to enhance!

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF:Incompetent User.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread