Crawling spider animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2002   #31
Quote: Originally posted by cyroz2000
#declare MyText =Wow man, that's an impressive animation! I used POV during 2 years, and the only animation I made were some camera translations and objects rotations using the clock system I can remember. I always thought that it was a great soft, but I didn't manage to make such great scripts-pics-anim.

I saw your web page, and its really amazing, I like very much the Dripstone Cave...

Great work man!!!

Thank you! It's been a while since I've made any new images for my gallery, since I've been more interested in animations lately.

The animation here is only possible to do with POV-Ray 3.5 because it has a trace() function which shoots a ray at a surface and returns the intersection point. I use that to find out where the feet should step on the ground... Generally POV-Ray 3.5 has way more features than POV-Ray 3.1, and that makes some new things possible. I'm still using the clock system though...

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #32
The spider model itself

As I said in the beginning of this thread, modeling isn't one of my strengths...

Here is a close up of the spider model that really show how crude and simple the model is. Strangely, it looks ok at the resolution that the animation has...

Rune
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiderzoom.jpg (40.0 KB, 172 views)

Old 05 May 2002   #33
The calculated steps

Here's an image of the steps that the walking system has calculated. One color per leg...

Rune
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spiderpath.jpg (31.2 KB, 183 views)

Old 10 October 2003   #34
Hiya.

This is very impressive.

I am also currently researching on developing a similar system for Lightwave with variable terrain handling.

As for commercial packages, I am afraid there are ones that do this.

Massive (used in Lord of the Rings) can handle variable terrain.

Ai implant for Max and Maya do it also.

Crowd (Character studio) plugin for 3ds max also.

Behaviour for Softimage also!

I would be interested in discussing the mathematics of this with you though. Perhaps you could send me a private mail, and we can chat!

I am a professional software developer and program in C,C++, Java and would be able to offer assistance for you beyond pov-ray script!

Excellent work anyway!

Cheers

Richard

Old 10 October 2003   #35
OH MY GOD,

I think it would take me longer, if I animate it by verwing my character, the bones etc...

and did that by CODING!!!....I am finding it hard to believe...but i saw the movie...and its AMAZING, not even walking on a flat srufce...BUT on a terrain!!....everything is right...

unbelieveable.....

I want to know, suppose if we add more objects or change the terrain, the walk system actuall re-calcs and works!?...if there is another object...will it actuall calc and go over it etc??

Last edited by aazimkhan : 10 October 2003 at 06:21 PM.

Old 10 October 2003   #36
Quote: Originally posted by aazimkhan
OH MY GOD,

I think it would take me longer, if I animate it by verwing my character, the bones etc...

Hehe, just wait till the day I make an animation with 50 spiders at once instead of just one... Then you'll see the real advantage.

Quote: I want to know, suppose if we add more objects or change the terrain, the walk system actuall re-calcs and works!?...if there is another object...will it actuall calc and go over it etc??

Yes, you tell the macro which objects to test against, and it then automatically tests against those objects. Footsteps are not manually placed, this is also an automatic process.

Rune

Old 01 January 2004   #37
povray

Hi!

I've used also Povray but later moved into 3dstudio. I am not really a programmer and found povray quite difficult. I have to admit that your spider animation is very advanced when it's made with pov

here's some poor 3d I have managed to make with povray:

http://www.digitalbeatmusic.com/images/art6big.jpg

Old 01 January 2004   #38
Quote: Originally posted by rune
Wow, so maybe my system is actually a little unique - Woohoo!

I'm afraid I can't implement it in other 3d packages though, because:
- I don't yet know any real programming languages, only POV-script.
- I don't have any experience at all with other 3d packages than POV-Ray, and POV-Ray is completely different from commercial 3d packages like LightWave. For example, a graphical user-interface for 3d is something I've never used.
- Other 3d packages are not free like POV-Ray is.

I also find it rather amusing that those big 3d packages with entire teams of programmers haven't implemented a feature like the one I'm working on here, and I'm just a college student with 3d as a hobby...

Rune

Rune, your POV 3d animations are thoroughly impressive. I have only rendered in POV via Blender using a wonderful Python script that was coded by a creative Blender coder. I am inspired by the work of cg programmers just as I am by cg artist. I am a Blender artist/Open source member. The Blender software concept brings both the cg artist and the coders together. Have you ever used the Python coding language? It offers endless opportunities to coders and 3d artist alike. When I saw your work I could see many possibilities for use in a broader range of animation applications. Your coded animation concepts are not restricted by the limitations of a software interface.
Way to go Rune. Good stuff!

Quote: I also find it rather amusing that those big 3d packages with entire teams of programmers haven't implemented a feature like the one I'm working on here, and I'm just a college student with 3d as a hobby...

That is the main reason why I chose Blender as my main 3d application. I love working with cg coders and enjoy the partnership with them as fellow software users. At first I was puzzled at their zealous Blender coding efforts. I didn't see what was behind their motives to code day and night. As I got more involved with their projects I could see how enjoyable it is to have an idea and work to set idea into motion with computer code. I could see how they responded to 3d artist who used their code in the 3d software. Most of the coders that I discuss software features with are students or hobbyist. They have even called one amazing test software package build the "Developers Playground." In the "Developers Playground.", anything that the coders get up and working goes. I like using this test 3d application build because you never know what these talented coders will come up with next. The experience is fun and productive for them as it is for 3d artist like me.

I just started learning 3d character animation and I am getting great tips from fellow coders who tell me how I can make my animations work better and be more productive by applying some simple lines of code to my work. I'm kind of like Luke and they are like Obi wan saying, "use the code force man, the force of the python scripts", hehe. When I look at your work I can see that what they are saying is correct.

Have fun!

Last edited by JA-forreal : 01 January 2004 at 12:43 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #39
heyho!

truly impressive.
i am also a Blender user like JA-forreal.
it would be awesome if you could have a look at our nice community of artists and coders working together.

i would post some links, but i don't know how the admins on this board think about posting links to other forums. this is my second post here and i don't wanna make enemies during the first days.. *g*

keep it up!

.george|blunt

Old 01 January 2004   #40
Nice job! The animation is extremely smooth and calculated. I noticed that his legs pass through each other during the last two seconds of the clip. I'm sure it's old news to you, but I was wondering if there is a way to keep them from doing this.
"Do or do not, there is no try." - Yoda The Empire Strikes Back

Old 01 January 2004   #41
THAT IS CRAZY! I love you man! So realistic... almost as good as Shelob!

Old 01 January 2004   #42
It looks just like a real one~

Old 01 January 2004   #43
you THE MAN!!!

nICE WORK..

bhush

Old 01 January 2006   #44
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

share thread