Crawling spider animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2002   #16
oh my dear lord! i actually watched the animation before really reading your post. i thought at first, 'yeah, that spider is animated really nicely'. i read you made a walk system to do it automatically by following a spline and thought 'wow, that's pretty damn cool.' then i get to the part about doing it in Pov-ray and my jaw hit the floor.

i pretty much started out in Pov-ray as independent study for a highschool programming course, so i know somewhat how it works, and that just blows my mind. now when i watch them i have to keep smacking myself in the head to remind myself it's real.

*starts muttering gibberish from this point on*

:xtreme: :xtreme:

Old 05 May 2002   #17
Quote: Originally posted by The Ripper
Wow, very interesting system, have you ever considered implementing this for another 3D package??, LightWave for example , that would be really great, besides I don't know any other 3D soft that does that(except in house tool).

Wow, so maybe my system is actually a little unique - Woohoo!

I'm afraid I can't implement it in other 3d packages though, because:
- I don't yet know any real programming languages, only POV-script.
- I don't have any experience at all with other 3d packages than POV-Ray, and POV-Ray is completely different from commercial 3d packages like LightWave. For example, a graphical user-interface for 3d is something I've never used.
- Other 3d packages are not free like POV-Ray is.

I also find it rather amusing that those big 3d packages with entire teams of programmers haven't implemented a feature like the one I'm working on here, and I'm just a college student with 3d as a hobby...

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #18
Quote: Originally posted by visionmaster
if you need betatester.........please call me...

It'll take a long time before the system is finished, but I'll keep that in mind. It will only be of use to you if you're a POV-Ray user though...

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #19
Re: Simply amazing...

Quote: Originally posted by TheHobbit
Pov Ray is pretty cool. I tried it once and it just wasn't my thing at the time(nothing was though), maybe in the future I'll try it for fun. Your extremely talented to do everything you've already done though and its inpirational to just see your work. I love the test you did with the streaming water particles the most! My favorite!

Thanks! The particle system is my other major project currently.

Let me know if you choose to give POV-Ray a try again. You may find that it has improved quite a bit in the new version 3.5 (which is still in the beta stage).

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #20
Quote: Originally posted by LyonHaert
oh my dear lord! i actually watched the animation before really reading your post. i thought at first, 'yeah, that spider is animated really nicely'. i read you made a walk system to do it automatically by following a spline and thought 'wow, that's pretty damn cool.' then i get to the part about doing it in Pov-ray and my jaw hit the floor.

i pretty much started out in Pov-ray as independent study for a highschool programming course, so i know somewhat how it works, and that just blows my mind. now when i watch them i have to keep smacking myself in the head to remind myself it's real.

LyonHaert, don't smack yourself in the head too hard, ok?

If you think the anim is particular impressive because it's made with POV-Ray, that's cool, but of course my goal is to make animations that look impressive by their own merits.

Thanks for the feedback!

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #21
The spider walk is impressive overall. Great work!

Can you set the timing and speed of the walk independently for different parts of the "walk path"? I mean, can you tell it to speed up, slow down, suddenly stop, and the continue crawling - key framed? If you could combine that with your script, then... awesome automated walking!

If youre answer is yes, then - indeed

Hey all: would'nt that be really challenging to other high $$$ animation tools? Where else can you draw a rough spline along a surface, assign it to a rigged creature, tweak some keyframes, and then press the "Calculate precise and totally realistic walk" button?

Aaaaargh!!!

Runtime Error 6D at 417A:32CF:Incompetent User.

Old 05 May 2002   #22
The scariest part of all this is... Rune's only 19 in nine days! He's almost four years younger than me! Actually, that and I'm pretty sure I used to have his webpage bookmarked.

I think I may have seen a similar walking system in reviews of Poser but since I've never actually used the software I honestly couldn't say if it's as good.

Rune: get yourself on a good software engineering type course (preferably one more geared towards graphics) and at the same time learn Renderman Interface Language. A good start would be with BMRT and get The Renderman Companion and Advanced RenderMan books.

Not that I'm dissing POV-Ray, but renderman is the film industry standard.
regards, Paul

Old 05 May 2002   #23
you got your self some fans there, eh rune ???

jk!

bye from henry

Old 05 May 2002   #24
Quote: Originally posted by epatnor
Can you set the timing and speed of the walk independently for different parts of the "walk path"? I mean, can you tell it to speed up, slow down, suddenly stop, and the continue crawling - key framed?

Thanks for your comments!

The timing and speed can be fully controlled by the path function used (e.g. the spline function). The spline function is an interpolation of a set of given points, and each point is also given a time value so that you can control exactly when the spline goes through each point. That way you can control speed and timing. I don't know if that is roughly the same as you mean when you refer to "key frames".

Anyway, on my website you can see one more animation made using the walking system. In that animation an alien biped character walks, then stops, then starts walking again and then turns around 180 degrees.

As for commercial 3d programs implementing the same functionality - yep, I don't know why they haven't already, hehe...

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #25
Quote: Originally posted by odubtaig
Rune: get yourself on a good software engineering type course (preferably one more geared towards graphics) and at the same time learn Renderman Interface Language. A good start would be with BMRT and get The Renderman Companion and Advanced RenderMan books.

Well, this summer I'll start at university studying computer science and multimedia. If I'm lucky I'll be able to turn my education in the direction of the kind of graphics that I like to work with.

Thanks for the Renderman tips. I'll have a look at that (sooner or later).

And yes, I'm only almost 19. I started with 3d graphics when I was 15. My website is about four years old by the way...

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #26
Quote: Originally posted by henry
[B]you got your self some fans there, eh rune ???

jk!

I'm really overwhelmed by the warm welcome I've gotten here! Thanks for all the comments everybody!

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #27
i didn't mean to infer that it was impressive because you did it in pov-ray. i was quite impressed when i had just watched the animation alone, before finding out what you used. further finding out it you coded a multi-use walk system also impressed me because...well, i just like abstraction and modulization. the reason it blew my mind that you did it all in pov-ray is i just never thought such complex animation was possible in it. it was sorta like seeing someone make a car fly.

on it's own, the animation is impressive. however, knowledge of what goes into something is always important, imo. some guy could use lightwave and manually animate the spider with ik goals and expressions, for example. the animation could turn out to look exactly like yours. but once you find out how it was done, the other guy will get some praise for being able to tediously animate a spider in one of the big 4, but you'd get much more praise for creating a system to automatically handle it, and in a script-based free 3d app, no less. it's sortof about how much forethought and skill goes into it.

my hat goes off to you, rune.

Old 05 May 2002   #28
Quote: Originally posted by LyonHaert
i didn't mean to infer that it was impressive because you did it in pov-ray. i was quite impressed when i had just watched the animation alone, before finding out what you used. further finding out it you coded a multi-use walk system also impressed me because...well, i just like abstraction and modulization.

Ok, I understand... Thanks LyonHaert!

Rune

Old 05 May 2002   #29
// POV-Ray 3.0 Scene Description File
// "Wonderfull Spider Rune"

#declare MyText =Wow man, that's an impressive animation!
I used POV during 2 years, and the only animation I made were some camera
translations and objects rotations using the clock system I can remember.
I always thought that it was a great soft, but I didn't manage to make such great
scripts-pics-anim.
I saw your web page, and its really amazing, I like very much the Dripstone Cave...

Great work man!!!

Old 05 May 2002   #30
that's some of the best animation I've ever seen. and the spider model looks great.

Darren

share thread