Secret Agent Entry: Michael Ulrich

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2009
Actually you will find it's very similar to yours:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n1hKQULa9Y

For SOME reason when we think "day dreaming loser"... The first image is always a guy with frazzled hair, and a funny moustache who is lacking exercise... :P

Your image can do this, possibly more.... Maybe I'm an easy sucker for your concept (just like I was for Weird Al's UHF film). But I did laugh when you showed the first comparative concept for the hero's head.

07 July 2009
Hahaha! Wow, this is really looking awesome. I can't wait to see more.

07 July 2009
Work In Progress: WIP Detail 3

I found a little time tonight to work on the dream dude. Thanks to CGIPadawan for helping convince me to stick with the original head rather than making him more 'suave'. I like this direction sooo much better. Still tons to do.

Here is a look of the entire wip as it now stands...

Last edited by Renderspud : 07 July 2009 at 07:02 AM. Reason: added link

07 July 2009
Hey.. thanks for the plug, Michael!
It's nice to get props from an artist at your level.
I've never directed comedy before.... I only read the theory. hahaha :P

But yeah, I got chuckles seeing this more full-bodied version of the Day-Dreamer.
There's so much meaning in this stuff, because that's what a lot of us 007 movie fans are.

We're all dreamers. Next to James Bond everybody is just "plain Joe Schome".

Can't wait to see the fully-finished entry!

07 July 2009
maybe you should change the expression on the "dream" image. make him like a hero maybe. keep it on.

.:SECRET AGENT:.

07 July 2009
Thumbs up

Awesome work. I can't wait to see the final. two thumbs up!

Last edited by Jamsta : 07 July 2009 at 05:10 PM.

07 July 2009
I know it goes contrary to what another post said but I think if I were day dreaming of myself as a spy I would be better looking :-)

Nice work Mike, very impressive!

07 July 2009
Work In Progress: WIP 4 Detail

Got a few hours to work on this today. Lots still to do but I am starting to lay in the values and refine the character poses. Still having fun. Thoughts and crits welcome.

07 July 2009
Looks great!

Hahaha! It's incredible! After I just convinced you to go one way, two people decide to go the other way.

I mean.. wow.. The truth is there are no right or wrong answers when it comes to intangible things like "story sense" or "image impact"... There is only the artistic persuasion to go in either direction. But man, this is just ONE PICTURE!

We could spark a whole argument about the "Looks exactly like Himself" VS "Looks better than Himself" thing. But imagine if this was a 90 minute movie! What fun!

Truly, one wonders all the mayhem that probably occurs when writing a larger story... All the things people can argue about....

But I digress. LOVE the Update! LOVE the Direction (which we both agree is right for this image! We're winner!) hahahah!

You cropped it quite heavily.. but I can see the "weights" of the different colors. This is going to look like a lot of fun.

Good luck! Keep going I want this to make the deadline!

07 July 2009
That is so cool man.. well done

07 July 2009
Thanks for the encouragement Creativebush, pierzak, CGIPadawan.

I'm heading into a really busy couple weeks so I'm not going to get much time to work on this for a bit. I'm bummed... Still, I should be able to finish this in time. Full-time jobs, such a pain

The whole head debate is pretty interesting. Does a nerdy day-dreamer think of his alter-ego secret agent as looking different than himself? I'm still hangin with no. I think most of us have our identities tied to our mugs. We can imagine ourselves with leaner, meaner, and more agile bodies... but if we mess with our face, then we aren't "me" anymore. That's my angle anyway... but I've still got Mr. Slick head if I need it.

07 July 2009
it's sad to hear that you will be busy,i hope you will have enaugh time to finish your image at time,good luck!!

07 July 2009
Hey diissar... no worries. I just have a couple deadlines and a family vacation coming down the pipe. I should be able to get things done. Life is a balancing act right?

07 July 2009
What a cool update, Michael!

Congrats!!

07 July 2009
Originally Posted by Renderspud: Thanks for the encouragement Creativebush, pierzak, CGIPadawan.

I'm heading into a really busy couple weeks so I'm not going to get much time to work on this for a bit. I'm bummed... Still, I should be able to finish this in time. Full-time jobs, such a pain

The whole head debate is pretty interesting. Does a nerdy day-dreamer think of his alter-ego secret agent as looking different than himself? I'm still hangin with no. I think most of us have our identities tied to our mugs. We can imagine ourselves with leaner, meaner, and more agile bodies... but if we mess with our face, then we aren't "me" anymore. That's my angle anyway... but I've still got Mr. Slick head if I need it.

Well to add to your thoughts, I've had lots of dreams similar to your concept.

*Major Confession ahead*

I had this "Die Hard In High School" dream once when I was in High School where the school was taken hostage by evil ski-masked troops led by Malcolm McDowell and I magically gained all these Commando abilities. It was basically like... "first person".... "living the adventure". I couldn't see myself and all the books had "wavy mispelled words" but it was one of those things where all the bad guys miss and they get beat quite easily. As far as I recall, I wasn't taller nor more muscular.. I was simply doing all the things Pierce was doing in them spy movies. hahaha.

I've also had these dreams where I discovered I was a member of X-Men.

.... and then I wake up....

Thread Closed share thread