Art Schools in Texas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Art Schools in Texas

There might not be too many people who have info/personal experience here, but I'm looking for some actual people who attend, attended, or have knowledge of schools in Texas with amazing art programs. I'm not expecting anything supreme-like, but a school that actually teaches fundamentals, has a great record, and it's a stretch, but possibly something to do with computer animation as well. I want to do mostly concept art and have been reading it deals with traditional art more than computer animation so I've been looking for advice on whether to go for the CA degree or Illustration. Anyone here to help out?

04 April 2013
Not a bunch to speak of unfortunately, some very good graphic design and film programs but not a lot of great art programs that I know of. I don't know specifics but I'd check into North Texas and Texas State as they're both colleges with solid art/music/film programs.

Texas A&M has an undergrad program in Visualization Studies that's sort of a hybrid of art/design/animation but I don't know how focused the program is, their graduate program is pretty prestigious though.

If you're looking to do concept design you're probably better off going to a more specialized program, particularly as the connections through those can be pretty valuable.

04 April 2013
I have heard that Steven F. Austin, University of Texas, North Texas (Denton), and maybe UTSA, have good departments. A&M Has a good computer visualization Department. I ended up going to A&M for architecture.

Unfortunately With fine arts it can be difficult to find a job afterwards. You will likely need to pair you artistic skills with computer knowledge in order to increase your marketability.

If I had it to do all over again I would focus on self teaching as well as your formal degree. I have heard some people advocate foregoing a degree altogether. There are tons of resources out there right now, Lynda.com, Digital Tutors, Gnomon, Cg society , etc. Guided learning is absolutely key. Otherwise you can spend years doing something the wrong way... like me .

From what I gather, your reel is more important than your degree in many cases. Someone other than myself would be more qualified to speak to this subject though. I'm primarily arch Vis.

I would Google your question as well. The more answers you can get the more informed decision you can make.

On a further note, I know of a few major gaming companies that operate out of Austin, and I'm sure there are also some opportunities for film and general design. Probably not as many as you would find in California, but they are there. Dallas probably has a few as well.
The availability of real world experience should also factor into your decision.

Good Luck

04 April 2013
Which University of Texas? Well, I don't specifically want a Fine Arts degree, but I want the school to have a proper teaching of the fundamentals or... traditional 2D drawing. It's more comfortable to me than playing with programs on a computer. I hate maya and other programs alike because it is so annoying to me. not to say I can't sit down and do it, but I've been told concept art isn't geared towards that route. I want to draw lots of characters, possibly environments, and just come up with awesome ideas.

I considered self teaching myself too, but right now in my life I need a structured way of learning. I know I'm going to take the slowest route possible teaching myself, so the almighty F should keep me running on the right track. I'm going to look into those schools you gave me now, but if anyone else has anymore to say about the subject or some advice that would be greatly appreciated.

04 April 2013
University of Texas at Austin

05 May 2013
I know this thread is a little older, but I wanted to respond.

I would also have to recommend the University of North Texas. I started there in Communication Design (graphic design) and it is a fantastic program. It is also a tough program. I wasn't prepared for the rigors of the school, so I ended up going with a management degree. I can tell you that you will work hard for your degree, but when you do graduate, you will have a solid portfolio and a solid grasp of fundamental art techniques.

Of course, any program you decide to pursue will only be as good as you make it. One of my biggest regrets is not applying myself to the program like I should have. Since it is based in Denton, you are only about 35 miles from Dallas and Ft. Worth where there are a lot of opportunities for jobs. I know people who have interned for all the major ad agencies as well as with the Dallas Stars, Cowboys, and Rangers.

05 May 2013
Even though itvs not glorious, you night check into your local community college. I have had a couple of friends take their 2D fundamentals there. And a lot of the schools are taking up computer animation also. And as editablepoly said there is a lot of resources online. Have you considered taking courses online? I attended Art Institute of Houston back in the late 90s for computer animation and I think I learned more about graphic design than anything else while there. I know a lot of people don't like the school but right now I am attending Full Sail online. There curriculum is not to bad, but you will only get out of it what you put into it. I am pairing that up with self learning. Let us know how your search goes.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread