CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
kbswr
portfolio
USA

School of Visual Arts vs Full Sail

Hi, I'm new to this site as a member but I've read a lot over the past year. I'm currently in 10th grade and live in New York, but I'm graduating a year early so I will be in college at the end of 2014. VFX and animation is my dream and I don't see myself doing anything else. My first year of college I'm going to a community college and getting a traditional art background, but my natural talent is above average, but not amazing. After I'm looking for the right college to go to. My first choice was SVA in nyc but i saw an ad for Full Sail and I read about it and it looks good. Which school is better? I'm a hard worker and will devote my life to VFX at either school. I've read some negative things about both schools yet both had positives as well. Which is more reputable and a better education for me? My goal is to work in a huge studio on feature films, but I haven't decided whether I want to go the animation way or VFX way. What do you guys think? Thanks to all replies.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
taxguy
Expert
portfolio
Sandy Botkin
Rockville, USA

Take School of Visual Arts!

Ok Listen up! Animation training is both hard and very intensive. There is no way a 2 year program will incorporate the same skills as a good 4- year program. Moreover, SVA has a LOT of connections with both studios nationwide and particularly in Manhattan for internships. Finally, SVA is considered one of the top schools for VFX/animation in the U.S.

Bottom line: Throw away the Full Sail advertisement and take SVA.

HOWEVER, there are other good choices that you might want to consider too:

Rochester Institute of Tech, Pratt Institute, FIT, Parsons, Ringling are all good choices on the east coast.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
kbswr
portfolio
USA

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm doing a pre-college program this summer at SVA and right now it's my top choice.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread