Any grad school programs strong in envirnment background for animation?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2011   #1
Any grad school programs strong in envirnment background for animation?

Any Graduate programs that are reasonably strong in environment backgrounds for animation such as movies or commercials? Special effects design, from a computer animation perspective, would be good too.

Old 08 August 2011   #2
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by "environment backgrounds," but I'm going to assume that you mean matte painting.

I've never heard of any graduate programs that have a specific emphasis on matte painting, to be honest. If you are not specifically interested in graduate programs but more in learning about visual effects stuff, I would check out specialized training like Gnomon (the school or the videos) or fxphd.

If you specifically want a graduate program because you want a masters degree but want to learn about visual effects/CG/whatever, you have a couple of options depending on your budget and what specifically you want to get out of your degree.

SCAD offers an MA and MFA in Visual Effects, which gives you a pretty solid, well rounded background in VSFX/CG. You get quite a few electives so you can pick from animation, painting, etc whatever compliments what you want to do with your degree. They do offer scholarships for graduate students and may be the only private art school that offers such a specialized masters and a really great opportunity for scholarships.

If a private school is not an option because of budget or location or whatever, you could look into other less specialized graduate programs at colleges near you. Computer Science (especially programs with an emphasis on graphics and/or visualization) would probably be the best option. Some schools also offer combined discipline masters that involve fine art and computer science training (these are usually called like "Digital Media" or something like that depending on the school.) If you want to specifically get into matte painting, an MFA in Studio Art would actually be beneficial and then you could do tutorials on the side to pick up the technical skills you need.

Like I said, it depends a LOT on what you hope to get out of a program, your previous background, and what your options are financially.

Old 08 August 2011   #3
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread