Old 07-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to hamzaaa
Approaching the 3D World

Hello everyone,

my name ist Björn (sorry it's hard to pronounce), I am 22 years old and I live in Germany. Recently I graduated from University as Bachelor. I did a course called "Digital Media: Animation & Games". In this course we got taught all the basics related to Animation and Games. Unfortunately I wasn't sure to specialize on something like modelling, animation or stuff like that, but that's what I wanna do now.
My passion lays within Computergames and 3D modelling, so my preferred path would obviously be modelling for computergames. During studies I got first experience on modelling but mostly for short animation movies.

My questions to you guys would be:

1. How and where to start learning modelling for computergames? (Tutorials, resources..?)
2. Do I need to have traditional Art skills to become a 3D modeller?
3. What are the best steps I can do next? (Learning by doing, theory work, internship..?)
4. Are there any independent remote projects where I can gain experience?
5. Is there any good literature regarding 3D modelling (for games?)
6. What else do I need to know apart from modelling?

I know many questions but for me as a newbie I have to ask question no matter what!
Also have a little gallery of my first ever made 3D models (Max). Those weren't game models, those were made for an animated short.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/360...20shop?h=db9e5e
Comments and critiques are demanded

Thank you for your time and patience!!

Greets
Björn aka hamzaaa

PS: I posted this thread 2 times before but something went wrong, I hope there aren't double or triple posts hiding somewhere in the Forum. If there are, I am sorry ^^

Last edited by hamzaaa : 07-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamzaaa
1. How and where to start learning modelling for computergames? (Tutorials, resources..?)

Personally, I'd recommend a subscription to Digital Tutors. That'll get you a huge array of fairly high quality tutorials. There are also plenty of books out there if you prefer written tutorials. It's possible to learn entirely from free online tutorials, but it takes a bit more searching and you have to deal with the frustration of badly written tutorials.

Also, you'll need to find some source for feedback. Taking some classes, either online or in person, would be a good idea if possible. Additionally, post your work on sites like this one.

Quote:

It's not essential, but it's very, very useful. You need to study form and volume in nature in some way. It is possible to do this solely by modeling lots of stuff from reference or (much better) from life, but it's easier to draw, sculpt, and photograph stuff.

Quote:
3. What are the best steps I can do next? (Learning by doing, theory work, internship..?)

Model something. Find someone who can tell you why your model is terrible. Try to make the model less terrible. Repeat.

Quote:
4. Are there any independent remote projects where I can gain experience?

Game mods.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

Thank you very much for your answer! I appreciate it. Any more opinions, comments or tips for a newbie sponge who wants to absorb everything? ^^

Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
TheMumm
Furious Cheefer

portfolio
Erik Mumm
Graphic Designer
Northville, USA

I'm in the same boat as you man, I'm on day 2 of my second chain of working, so I'm not far in yet, but I've gotta stick with it.

I just picked up a DT subscription, and I HIGHLY suggest you do the same. Right now, I'm working through the Intro to Maya 2011 course, while simultaneously practicing my traditional drawing skills (Betty Edwards' Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is an OUTSTANDING book if you don't have a lot of drawing experience) and I'm learning so much.

What I did prior to picking up the book and subscription was to browse their tutorials, look for good drawing books, and laid a plan out for myself along with a blog to share and track my progress. Helps keep yourself motivated and in-check. If you get a blog, let us know, I'll definitely follow you and perhaps we could bounce ideas off of each other or something.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

Hey Mumm (shall I call you like that?),

thanks for your answer, it's cool to see some newbies around all these professionals here. So as I read from your post and blog you are likely to go more in the concept artist direction? I think I am gonna stick to 3D modeling, but traditional art skills are never wrong I suppose. I will take a look at the book and it would be nice if we could share some infos. Maybe I will get a blog sometime, at the moment I am a working on my Portfolio website. But if you want you can add me via ICQ (595566719) or SKYPE (vr_hamza).
See you around!

Old 07-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
TheMumm
Furious Cheefer

portfolio
Erik Mumm
Graphic Designer
Northville, USA

I haven't decided on a direction to take with the skillset just yet, but I'm leaning more towards modeling and animation than anything else.

Once I get my comms sorted I'll add ya on the Skype and ICQ. Cheers Man, let's do this!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I'd actually advise against using Betty Edward's book. She teaches you to see without thinking about what you're seeing. Now, if your only goal is to copy what's in front of you, that's fine, but if you want to be able to create new things, and if you want to understand how forms work in three dimensions, it's useless, if not actively harmful. Also, the stuff she says about brain hemispheres is laughable to anyone with a real understanding of neuroscience (not that I, personally, do, but I have friends who've studied it extensively). Andrew Loomis's books just went back into print; I'd advise checking them out.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

Hey,

well I am open for everything. I would say I need a book for a total beginner, which books (also by andrew loomis) can you advise to me? Many thanks

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
TheMumm
Furious Cheefer

portfolio
Erik Mumm
Graphic Designer
Northville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
I'd actually advise against using Betty Edward's book. She teaches you to see without thinking about what you're seeing. Now, if your only goal is to copy what's in front of you, that's fine, but if you want to be able to create new things, and if you want to understand how forms work in three dimensions, it's useless, if not actively harmful. Also, the stuff she says about brain hemispheres is laughable to anyone with a real understanding of neuroscience (not that I, personally, do, but I have friends who've studied it extensively). Andrew Loomis's books just went back into print; I'd advise checking them out.

As a total beginner, I'd have to take a point of disagreement here. The great thing about Betty Edwards' book is that it teaches you to see what you want to draw, not to actually draw it. It has helped me immensely tapping into my 'creative' side just by presenting exercises to stimulate a different way of thinking (the neuroscience is malarkey, however) - one which behooves drawing. Loomis is next on my list after Edwards' book anyway, so the point is moot for me.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

I think there is no single or only way of starting to learn stuff. It's different for every individual. Everyone is learning kinda in a different way, but I think it's nice that people are recommending materials and ways they start or started learning. Keep on going
As far as for me, I take a look at everything and make the most of it in my way.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
LunchboxAz
portfolio
Jason Bollinger
Tucson, USA

I too am a total noob just starting out in the world of CG. Im taking my first "class" right now and starting another at the end of august. I wont be able to tell you what to do but I can give my impressions of what ive found out after silently reading this site for the past year or so and other info ive picked up.

Digital Tutors, Gnomon or Lynda have some excellent turoials on all matters of CG. You could even look at stuff from Simplymaya.com. If your looking for a book on Maya or 3Ds Max you can look into the FOUNDATION or Introductory books by Autodesk they have. Practice practice practice and ask alot of questions.

They help but are'nt completely necessary. Basic design and drawing can only help in the long run.

3. 4. & 5.
See #1.

6. What else do I need to know apart from modelling?
personally I think texturing and lighting are nice to know

Last edited by LunchboxAz : 07-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #12
hamzaaa
portfolio
Björn Frechenhäuser
Wiesbaden, Germany

Hey,

thanks for your advise. It's really good to see some other new fellas around

Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread