Design schools like FZD but cheaper?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  06 June 2011
Design schools like FZD but cheaper?

Hi guys, ever since I started to really really like digital painting I always want to go to a design school that does exactly "it"

A while ago I discovered FZD school of Design, while it's an amazing school, 40,000 SGD for a 1 year course is just waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay, out of my hands of reach as a 16 year old student who has a job that even pays 6 an hour.

Are there any similair schools to it?

Maybe somewhere in UK? Or anywhere to be honest?

I just want a course, that will teach me a lot of things like in FZD (perspective, sketching, photoshop, how to develop things)

those type of things which I can use to do commision work or even higher and go to work for a company for experience.

The thing I don't want to do is to draw something and I have to do a stupid essay on it, because to me, everything has to be on a paper, the client needs to look at it and like it and I don't have to give him additional 50 pages just to read what the hell it is.

Also it would be nice to have a course that does stuff mostly on a tablet with a computer on photoshop or something.

Cheers.
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
FZD is a pretty unique school dude, but sure there must be something similar, there is the Gnomon Entertainment Design course in Ca. for instance, which teaches kinda sorta the same as FZD, there another badass school in Pasadena... crap i dont remember its name but its damn good. Good luck with your search.
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by jesse92: FZD is a pretty unique school dude, but sure there must be something similar, there is the Gnomon Entertainment Design course in Ca. for instance, which teaches kinda sorta the same as FZD, there another badass school in Pasadena... crap i dont remember its name but its damn good. Good luck with your search.


THERE IS A DESIGN SCHOOL IN CALIFORNIA?! ****ING RIGHT LOVE! Cheers for that bro!
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
The art Center College of Design is the school i was trying to remember... thats a badass design school from which you could get pretty similar stuff from what you could get out of FZD, i would choose FDZ any day though.
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by jesse92: The art Center College of Design is the school i was trying to remember... thats a badass design school from which you could get pretty similar stuff from what you could get out of FZD, i would choose FDZ any day though.


Dude, I would choose FZD school of design anyday, being taught by Feng is a dream come true, but as a student, coming up with 30,000 is impossible because I only got a 6 an hour job, and around 400-500 pay a month :*(
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
If Feng gave you hands on tuition for that year then that's a good price, he's one talented dude. You'd have to save a lot to live in Singapore though... I've worked this out. By the time I'm about 60 I'll be able to afford it.

He has some great Gnomon DVD's. If you're a self starter, you could absorb those for a lot less money and still support him. The spaceship one is GOLD! (well for me it was...)
__________________

 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: If Feng gave you hands on tuition for that year then that's a good price, he's one talented dude. You'd have to save a lot to live in Singapore though... I've worked this out. By the time I'm about 60 I'll be able to afford it.

He has some great Gnomon DVD's. If you're a self starter, you could absorb those for a lot less money and still support him. The spaceship one is GOLD! (well for me it was...)


For UK students, it's about 30,000 for the one year diploma covering all needs.

It would take me till the age of 25 at least to accumulate that amount, + I don't understand why it's so expensive...
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by DreadStunLock: For UK students, it's about 30,000 for the one year diploma covering all needs.

It would take me till the age of 25 at least to accumulate that amount, + I don't understand why it's so expensive...


Settling down in Singapore for a course which would involve spaceship drawing when Lucasfilm happens to be nearby can't be too bad a thing.

It sounds like you need something to keep you busy till you have more hefty savings available.

Don't underestimate the power of dvd's (vader voice?). Hey, I'm completely self taught and the dvd's took my drawing out of side profiles and into the 3rd dimension. I'm a fan. Scott Robertson has great perspective ones - How to Draw Cars/planes/ships. You can piece together an education targetting specific areas if you can't afford a course which does that for you.
__________________

 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Settling down in Singapore for a course which would involve spaceship drawing when Lucasfilm happens to be nearby can't be too bad a thing.

It sounds like you need something to keep you busy till you have more hefty savings available.

Don't underestimate the power of dvd's (vader voice?). Hey, I'm completely self taught and the dvd's took my drawing out of side profiles and into the 3rd dimension. I'm a fan. Scott Robertson has great perspective ones - How to Draw Cars/planes/ships. You can piece together an education targetting specific areas if you can't afford a course which does that for you.


The main things I badly need is, how to draw in "Feng's style perspective" and how to come up with designs that are unique to me.

__________________
Future employee of Blizz!

Last edited by DreadStunLock : 06 June 2011 at 04:36 PM.
 
  06 June 2011
Definitely check out his dvd's then. He demonstrates drawing from start to finish.

Also you could do an industrial design course. Fast perspective drawing is taught and they are everywhere.

Good luck!
__________________

 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by SciFibrow: Definitely check out his dvd's then. He demonstrates drawing from start to finish.

Also you could do an industrial design course. Fast perspective drawing is taught and they are everywhere.

Good luck!



wowowowowoow, what Dvds?!
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
he has some gnomon workshops about concept design environment and stuff... you should check it out
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by jesse92: he has some gnomon workshops about concept design environment and stuff... you should check it out


I'll check it out!

Also, FZD says there are 3 different Professional Certificate courses for:

6 weeks, total 18 hours
Tuesday, 7pm - 10pm

Is that possible? Will I learn alot from it?

Sounds so strange, but I do kind of believe in the teachers giving me a lot of skills, it's just that my parents think it's a huge rip off :(
__________________
Future employee of Blizz!
 
  06 June 2011
Yeah, there's those courses too, but i dont think you'll do well if you dont have the foundations down, those courses must be really fast passed and they'll expect you to know some stuff already, so if you are already good at color,form,perspective, anatomy and all that stuff, yeah.. you could learn a lot.
__________________
Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.
 
  06 June 2011
Originally Posted by DreadStunLock: The main things I badly need is, how to draw in "Feng's style perspective" and how to come up with designs that are unique to me.




why not follow in his footsteps? learn theory like he did. he didnt learn a style per say, he learned industrial illustration, and everything that came along with it. scott robertson did the same, as did craig mullins from what I remember. There is no shortcut, and a few dvds wont teach you everything he knows.

I don't want to put you down, or be negative, but realistically speaking, you have a VERY long way to go.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...oncept-Design-4

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/st...oncept-Design-1

but I would recommend The series by Vilppu.

http://vilppustore.com/specials.htm

The nice thing is that you can buy a set, or in pieces. So as you improve and learn from one dvd, and practice, you can buy another and learn from that. step by step. its the best way to go. there are lessons on perspective, drapery, figure drawings, how to break things down from larger volumes, to smaller details, lighting in general, etc. Its good stuff. It is these foundation things that I feel that you lack most. Style will come later. Learn fundamentals first.

Last edited by ambient-whisper : 06 June 2011 at 08:31 AM.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.