Continuing Education in Vancouver BC.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2011   #1
Smile Continuing Education in Vancouver BC.

Hello CG society members!

My name is Al Macleod - I live in Vancouver BC, currently working at Image Engine as Shot TD. Some of you may know me from Vancouver Film School (hello VFS grads!).

I'm organizing some talks and events this summer under the banner "Fx Lab Presents...". I've put together a pretty basic site: http://fxlab.ca/

I posted before but I think it was deleted as it looked too much like an ad.

So instead I'm going to tell you about what I'm trying to achieve and ask for your feedback and help in making it happen.

I'm trying to arrange some talks and seminars in Vancouver BC for working professionals in the evenings and weekends. The goal is to get the top working talent together in to a room together to share knowledge. Simple as that.

There are lots of great schools in Vancouver that are great for getting people in to the industry, but I personally feel there is a lack of educational support for continuing education on a part time basis.

I've been looking myself for a part time course, ideally a masters degree to do in the evenings and weekends, and while there are some stuff out there, nothing really gives me the impression that it's really going to challenge me.

So I figured I should try and put something together myself. I pitched the idea around some people I know and work with and everyone says that its a great idea. So for the last few months I've been researching venues and recruiting speakers.

Now I'm at the point where I need an audience... and that's where you come in!

I'm not looking to make stacks of money off this project. I'd much rather have a full venue of top local talent who are really engaged listening to a great speaker than to make lots of money from a room filled with bored people. Most likely I'll be loosing money from this - which is totally fine - but it would suck if nobody turns up to the events!

Also, I'd like to hear suggestions for future talks too. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who would be interested in giving a presentation.

While I have worked at a number of local studios and schools (and will continue to!) - this is a personal project of mine and not currently affiliated with any other origination. The courses are not currently accredited.

I hope local studios, schools, individuals and of course the fine people at cg society will help support my efforts by spreading the word about what I am trying to do.

Thanks for reading all of this!

Al.

Old 05 May 2011   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread