Where do i start to become a concept artist ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2011
Where do i start to become a concept artist ?

Hi i have a question for you guys, i want to learn how to draw and draw good. i wanna know where should i start, do any of you guys have any recommendations on some good books i can buy or some type of drawing kits for adult beginners ? i also wouldn't mind learning how to paint either. Also after i get my drawing skills up i'm interesting in becoming concept artist. i have always liked art and wanted to be involved in it but i really don't know how to draw right now. where should i start?

04 April 2011
Can't really help on the books to get too much. For anatomy Hogarth has some good stuff. Not into drawing so :/.

Main reason I am posting is the concept art part.

Be sure you understand what you are getting into. Not meaning to discourage you, just making sure you know what your in for. Within the entertainment production field I'd venture to say concept artist is one of the most competitive titles. At a studio like Blur where they have 50-70 artists, 3 of those are concept artists (actual figures btw). You will find almost every studio has a ratio like this. Also for concept artists you don't get the luxury of multiple tiers. For instance, character modeler, lead character modeler, modeling supervisor (some times). Generally it's just concept artist; which means you could be going up against some one like Feng Zu for a job. Go for your dreams, but understand the realities of the situation.

A book you should pick up is from Terryl Whitlach. Really good concept artist, has some mad skills and really puts a lot into her stuff.

Might also like mechanica i think its called

Anything by Feng Zu or Keith Tompston

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Thread Closed share thread