How To Get Into the Industy, Entertainment Design/ Concept Art

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2011   #1
How To Get Into the Industy, Entertainment Design/ Concept Art

I'm a Swedish 18 years old student trying to find a way in the world. I've been drawing monsters and landscapes ever since my arms could lift a pencil. I feel I will not be able to live off my family's generosity for much longer and must start carrying the burden of my own weight.

Though I'm a good c++ programmer and fluent in maths and physics I've always known I would eventually end up making a living in the entertainment industry as a concept artist or something similar.

I am not trained as an artist, I did not attend an art and aesthetic school but a school of technology. I never was very interested in the exteriors of old Moscow or French theatre during the 1800century, I rather study programming and computer science.

Now however I'm trying to find a high school education suitable for a concept artist or entertainment designer. I simply can't find anything. Every search including terms like visual, graphic or design just brings you uninteresting educations not related to the entertainment industry. There are pleanty of schools for animation and 3d but next to nothing for any kind of entertainment related 2d art.

Can I make an entertainment designer or concept artist of myself through an education in 3d arts. How am I to make it into the industry?

Also though I believe I have good enough art skills to make it as an artist but I would very much like it confirmed. Please anyone experienced take a quick glance at some of my stuff.
[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
There is more at My DevianArt profile.

Old 03 March 2011   #2
I think you are a bit confused. That maybe a language thing. You want to do 2dconcept art but are talking about 3d. You dont like studying 18 century architecture but would rather program, something.

I am not sure what you want. I think you are not sure either
I would say your drawing work has a long way to go before you could consider it strong enough to live off. As a concept artist you can survive if your ideas are great but it is easier if your drawing skills are also higher standard. You can raise your standard by thoughtful study and practice. School may help but it is no guarantee. If you are into concept art I would suggest you find out more about it so you can orientate yourself.

Good Luck.

Old 03 March 2011   #3
To clarify. What I want to know is how im supposed to become something like a 2d concept artist or similar. I can't find any high school or college around here with programs focused on entertainment design or any kind kind of entertainment related 2d concept design.

I want to know if its possible to attend a school with 3d courses and still be able to work as a 2d artist of any kind. As there seem to be next to no schools with 2d while there are a load of schools with 3d.

Or I could just as well abandon all of that and follow the mainstream of students and join one of the many Information Technology high schools.

Old 03 March 2011   #4
If being a concept artist is what you want to do, be looking for a traditional art school. Concept art is a hard thing to make a major out of so you will most likely be looking at an illustration program. Be sure you also understand what a concept artist does, and the life of a concept artist. For instance, Blur has some where around 70 artists. Of those 70 artists, three are concept artists. That is what you can expect in almost every studio. These concept artists need to pump out pages upon pages upon pages of designs every day. You won't be working on 5 drawings a day, you are more talking at least 100. So not only do you need to be good, but you need to be fast. On top of that know your competition, I put some links of concept artists below. Jobs for concept artists are extremely cut throat, and you could be going against one of these guys for a job.

http://www.fengzhudesign.com
http://www.keiththompsonart.com
http://www.aaron-sims.com
http://travisg.cgsociety.org/gallery/706080 ( Travis Bourbeau )
Eric Ryan ( dont know his site off the top of my head )
Mark Hannah ( same thing )

I just want to make sure anyone wanting to go into concept art knows what they are getting into. The job market is tiny and there are A LOT of people who want that job.

As far as your
work goes, it is decent. You have a lot to learn but thats what school is for right?

As far as some schools you can look at. I can't vouch for any of these schools as per your specific interest but these schools carry some kind of good reputation for one reason or another.

Ringling

Gnomon (their 1 year program)

http://www.fzdschool.com (only school I've heard of specifically for concept. Haven't heard much about the school but it's created by Feng Zhu, so that at least makes it worth checking out.)

Those are the only three I can think of off the top of my head. It isn't really my area so, haven't done too much research into it.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 03 March 2011   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread