Parent Coming in Peace

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by Kanga: Fact from me, better to learn nutz an boltz from web, cheaper and just as fast.,

Fact from me: better to go to community college where you can learn figure drawing, composition, colour theory as traditional knowledge very usefull in our century.

Fact from me: 3000 is nothing when you look to 75000 at other institutions.

Fact from me: if he loves it, it will work.

Fact from me: I have high opinion of my opinion so is no fact, also I have small monitor

Couldn't have put it better

If I had to redo my degree, I would definitely choose something more traditional along the lines of what Kanga mentioned. Tools evolve and workflows change, so you are pretty much forced to keep up to date anyway on the technical side, while traditional knowledge can be applied to just about everything - independently of what software you end up using.

03 March 2011
Originally Posted by Gut40k: Well we just got back from our visit to scad.. long A(* ride from texas!!! visited both the atlanta and savannah campuses. we figured jordan would prefer savannah, but he did not. As a matter of fact all of us preferred the Atlanta campus!! Of course a tour will not tell you the whole story. We tried to talk with as many people as possible. facilities were very nice (should be for the tuition they charge!!!). We are getting scholarships, but the cost is still very high. Jordan decided it made more sense to take gen ed locally (save $$$$).

my family agrees on one thing. Huge debt out of college is a no go. wont happen.

Almaghest, do you know if there is a big difference instructor wise btwn the campuses?

Absolutely. Huge difference! If it's animation or vfx Savannah is the campus you should choose. I did my masters in animation at SCAD and I had considered Atlanta campus at one point, but looking at number of good professors at Savannah campus it was a no brainer.

I agree with the decision about going to community college for art and general education classes first and transfer to SCAD. For undergraduate if you have a good traditional portfolio you will get a good scholarship. And yes apply as early as possible so there is enough fund for scholarship.
"Life is animation and we are our own animators." -i

04 April 2011
Originally Posted by MasonDoran: Depending on his focus, computer software should be the last step of studying, and is just as effective and cheaper to learn at home.

Traditional art skills will serve a budding artist far greater, and will give him a significant advantage in both school and the job market.

I say this because, the traditional art skills will teach the fundamentals of creating quality work without the learning curve of a computer.

Such skills as composition, focal point, concepts, and what makes a good image are all easily neglected when the focus is on the software.

I just want to second this. Its tempting to focus on the techy side of 3d work, and neglect the actual art side of things. The problem is that you end up being little more than a button pusher, and the work you create won't be very compelling. I say this because I'm a button pusher in rehabilitation, and am slowly working on getting better at core artistic fundamentals, and just want to save others from going down the same unfortunate road as me

04 April 2011
You're on the right track

Try to keep the core classes as simple as possible, try to find a place where they are cheap and easy to get through since they are of no help but are required anyways. It would be a bad situation if those types of classes take time away from learning the important art stuff.

Definitely check out the training materials available on the internet, since there's a lot of fantastic stuff out there. And try and find out what he really wants to do. You don't want to waste time on learning things you aren't going to be using anyways. So find out if he wants to be a modeler/animator or whatever. And whether he wants to go into Games/Film/Visualization

And I for one, would downplay the importance of traditional art skills--there's some simple stuff like color theory that is important across all areas, but being able to draw well isn't necessarily going to make you better at modeling or animation. Though it would help for stuff like texturing.

04 April 2011
Just wanted to thank you all once again for your insightful comments. I have sent a couple of private messages but wanted to open my final question up to the collective.

My son has decided to continue to teach himself via all the online methods you all have suggested (he has the education copies of autodesk and the cs5 suite). He is going to attend a local community college to knock out gen ed then transfer to scad or another "art" focused school next year (he was accepted to SCAD).

Is it better to accept the current scholarships he has been offered from SCAD, for example, or reapply next year. His portfolio was pretty general, not focused on traditional art. So we were wondering if he really focused on his portfolio would he stand a chance to get a better scholarship if he reapplied, vice accepting the current scholarship (and keeping his status at SCAD active) and deferring enrollment till next year.

As always, any thoughts/suggestions you have are greatly appreciated.

thanks

04 April 2011
I hope all goes well for your son. Depending on what kind of school he eventually chooses, if any, he may very well have to self-learn much of the software anyway, as has been mentioned. Other value he should receive from any school he chooses, is learning to work as a team with others (faculty and fellow students), establishing a network of future co-workers(of course this is done in others venues as well), and being able to take advantage of the network/connections that the school and faculty have in the industry.

04 April 2011
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread