Animation program at Cogswell

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #1
Animation program at Cogswell

Does anyone know how the program is? Are there pretty good teachers and portfolios coming out of this place?

Old 02 February 2011   #2
Simply put no, they are no good. The work of their grads is just sad to be honest.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 02 February 2011   #3
Well what would you or anyone else recommend that is a 4 year bachelors degree in animation? I have seen petty good stuff from SJSU's animation program and that will be my first choice, but I have heard that it is very difficult to get into it so I need a backup plan.

Old 02 February 2011   #4
Look into Ringling, SCAD, and CalArts. Also just look around this forum, the topic of animation schools have been discussed to death.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 02 February 2011   #5
Originally Posted by nomar289: Well what would you or anyone else recommend that is a 4 year bachelors degree in animation? I have seen petty good stuff from SJSU's animation program and that will be my first choice, but I have heard that it is very difficult to get into it so I need a backup plan.

It's difficult because you go through portfolio reviews. You take your core or foundation classes first, then after you finish those you submit a portfolio before continuing into the program. If you don't meet the level of work they expect, they will tell you to go back and possibly retake some classes to improve your work.

They also have some cool thing set up where you go to DreamWorks in Redwood City to have some of your work critiqued at the same time with other students visiting DreamWorks in Glendale. They call it DreamCrits (link below).

http://blogs.sjsu.edu/today/2011/02...nch-dreamcrits/

http://www.sjsuai.com/ai/News/Entri...DreamCrits.html

Last edited by gawl126 : 03 March 2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 02 February 2011   #6
Any tips on how to get into the program? What kind of art do they look for?

Old 02 February 2011   #7
Originally Posted by nomar289: Any tips on how to get into the program? What kind of art do they look for?

Well you get admitted into the school first and into the major of your choice. That's all just based on academics. You might want to email the advisors regarding any questions you might have.

Old 02 February 2011   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread