Teesside, Bournemouth or Escape?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #1
Question Teesside, Bournemouth or Escape?

Hello guys,

I've read a lot of threads in and out of this forum about these schools/universities. I just want a specific suggestion for my case. Here's my situation.

I graduated from Visual Communication Design, in 2010. I'm living in Istanbul, Turkey. Right now I'm working as a part-time graphic designer. I want to become a character animator in the future. I've been thinking about going into a masters programme in UK.

I applied for Bournemouth University, 3D Computer Animation programme in the first case. I've got a conditional offer, but I had to make two interviews with their programme leader. First we had an interview on the phone. They rejected me. Afterwards they offered me a second chance. It went well. But probably this year they have a lot of application coming down to the course. So my chances on Bournemouth is not a piece of cake.

After my first interview with Bournemouth, I applied for Teesside University, Digital Character Animation programme. I heard and read a lot of about Animex Festival, facilities and etc. They offered me a conditional, which I have to pay the deposit and obtain an unconditional. Here's the big part fellas. After I sent my application, few days past and without evaluating my portfolio they sent the conditional offer. No portfolio assessment, even though it was needed. I insisted to send my portfolio to them. They looked into my portfolio and in a couple of hours, they confirmed that the offer still remains.

I was really disturbed and curious about what what I was doing. You know, one looks into your portfolio and wants to make an interview with you and it's really difficult to get in.
The other one just looks into your qualification and tells you "Yeah just pay the deposit and get the unconditional".

Besides, I met a lot of people from forums, googled the master programmes and found a lot of people. Some of them are graduates, some of them working in the industry, and the rest are students at the moment. Some people, who went both Bournemouth and Teesside, told me to go to Animation Mentor if I really want to learn animation. I have no doubts about Animation Mentor. Because it seems a lot of graduates from Bournemouth and Teesside took the online course in AM, although they graduated from these universities.

Animation Mentor is an option for me. But honestly, I don't want to sit in front of my computer and try to learn animation for 18 months. Because that's what I've been doing for the last 3 years from tutorials and books. I just want go to an actual campus not an online thing right now. To be honest, we don't have a lot of major/minor animation studios here. Most of them are VFX studios and film studios. But the industry in Europe and US is just where I want to be in a couple of years. I really don't believe if I stay in my home and take an online course and get a job in UK/US afterwards. Also I want to develop my demoreel when I'm working as a junior animator. It's really important me to develop and use my skills when I'm working in a studio.

So in the final case, I'm thinking about going to Escape Studios. But for the Character Animation course in Escape, 12 weeks is a very small amount of time if you consider it for learning and practicing character animation. The course is really expensive on the other hand. I think the Escape is very well known for placing students into entry level jobs who took Compositing and VFX courses.

VFX and Character Animation are totally different. But right now with this kind of different thoughts I'm really stucked and even thinking about switching into VFX career and thinking about going to VFX course in Escape. It may sound stupid but my mind is really messed up with a lot of thoughts. I can't decide which path to go. I don't know in which path I can find a job easily even though it all depends on demoreel.

So can anyone help me and give some advices who has any experience with these schools/universities/programmes, or working in the industry?

Thanks

Old 02 February 2011   #2
Why are you looking at the UK?

Try France

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/fr...-best_8363.html

Or Canada

http://www.vfs.com/fulltime.php?id=7

I think that you will find doing character animation in the UK very difficult as not that many places actually teach it in great depth......(I better duck as the rotten tomatoes are being thrown at me).

If you are just looking for away into the UK then spend your money and go to Teesside. It's a wonderful part of Great Britain.

Old 02 February 2011   #3
If you want into the industry in the UK then u are gonna want to be in London. If not and u have money to burn though why not try Vancouver Film School? Teeside has a good course but when bob said "It's a wonderful part of Great Britain." I think he was being sarcastic

Old 03 March 2011   #4
Hope he was being sarcastic! I had a good time at Teesside and met some great people there, many of whom I still work with today (in fact I ended up sat next to a good friend from Teesside at work after we graduated) but I really struggle to recommend the courses there. They need a serious overhaul, and I dont know any tutors there that have recent industry experience, although some of them were still good teachers.

As a place tk learn, with good facilities and often some talented students, it might be just what you need, but the actual quality of the teaching when I attended is terrible when compared to something like Animation Mentor.

Are you any closer to a decision on this?

Cheers
Nick

Old 03 March 2011   #5
Thank you all for all the replies. I applied to Animation Mentor and they accepted me to get into the program. So I'm looking forward to start Animation Mentor in September,2011.

I think the animation program is the best there and my circumstances have changed and I think I can't afford to go to Teesside or any other program in UK. Because they're a lot expensive and I don't think that those courses worth that amount of money. After reading all those comments about the tutors and the lectures I decided to go to AM.

Thank you guys

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Originally Posted by notsosure: Why are you looking at the UK?

Try France

http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/fr...-best_8363.html

Or Canada

http://www.vfs.com/fulltime.php?id=7

I think that you will find doing character animation in the UK very difficult as not that many places actually teach it in great depth......(I better duck as the rotten tomatoes are being thrown at me).

If you are just looking for away into the UK then spend your money and go to Teesside. It's a wonderful part of Great Britain.

VFS costs a fortune. A lot of money. If I had the finances I would go there. Gobelins is good. But I can't speak French. I don't know French. I think their summer courses are in English. But that's just a one week course.

Old 03 March 2011   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread