Gnomon Workshop Help!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2011   #1
Gnomon Workshop Help!

Is introduction to character modeling with mark dedecker Worth the money?
i am very new at ZBrush and A little experienced with maya, so is it a good buy?
Or should i get Introduction to maya fluid effects?
Any suggestions will be appreciated, Thank you.

Old 02 February 2011   #2
If you are new I don't suggest Gnomon DVDs. Gnomon DVDs are great if you already have some knowledge of the programs going in. They are less teaching you how to use the program and more showing how a specific person goes about doing stuff.

Personally I suggest Digital Tutors. They are much better for beginners and intermediate artists. Their focus is much more on how the program works and how to do things correctly. But Digital Tutors lacks for professional artists, because they are more in need of finding new ways to do the things they already know how to do.

For example, introduction to Maya. Gnomon's video is some thing like 5 hours of a general overview of some things. You learn about making objects and moving them around and such. Doesn't really give a good introduction. Digital Tutor's video is 11 1/2 hours and goes over every large aspect of CG. They also use a hands on approach in which you create a pod-racer from start to finish. You learn modeling, texturing, lighting, dynamics, scripting (slightly touches on it), animation, and rendering. At the end of the video you have at least a simple understanding of each of those areas and how to use them. And you get the satisfaction of having built some thing in Maya.

Also most Gnomon DVDs are around $40-$60 each. Digital Tutors is $50 a month and it gives you access to all of their couple hundred videos.

Time To Answer A Question: 15 Minutes
Time To Thank Someone For An Answer: 30 Seconds

Post of Wisdom

Old 02 February 2011   #3
Yes digital tutors is very specific but i don't want to go through 11 hours of training + doing it myself
it would take days to complete, and i havent found very many resourceful Modeling tutorials from them.

Thanks anyway!

Old 02 February 2011   #4
Originally Posted by darthrevan: Yes digital tutors is very specific but i don't want to go through 11 hours of training + doing it myself
it would take days to complete, and i havent found very many resourceful Modeling tutorials from them.

Thanks anyway!

Thats strange. DT alongside with 3D Buzz has some of the most extensive and varied modeling tutorials I have seen. Everything from organic to hard surface modeling.

Old 02 February 2011   #5
Originally Posted by Kyron: Thats strange. DT alongside with 3D Buzz has some of the most extensive and varied modeling tutorials I have seen. Everything from organic to hard surface modeling.

Exactly what I was thinking lol.

Post of Wisdom

Old 03 March 2011   #6
Originally Posted by darthrevan: Yes digital tutors is very specific but i don't want to go through 11 hours of training + doing it myself

Thanks anyway!

If you think 11 hours of training is a long time you've got a rough road ahead of you.

Old 03 March 2011   #7
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: If you think 11 hours of training is a long time you've got a rough road ahead of you.

Beat me to it

Old 03 March 2011   #8
Originally Posted by KillahPriest: If you think 11 hours of training is a long time you've got a rough road ahead of you.

@OP; If you see a video is 11 hours long you should be excited. Honestly from what I have seen here; look for a different industry. I'm pulling 60 hour weeks at school and even now I should be doing more.

Post of Wisdom

Old 03 March 2011   #9

You snatched the audio waves from my throat. hehehe If 11 hours seems like a burden, run..........fast.

Old 03 March 2011   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread